Sunday, 19 August 2007

'Granny Grumble' on tour!




My first 'granny grumble' day was lovely...the sun shone...we walked miles and T was as happy as a chubby baby without a care in the world could be. We wandered through the woods along the old railway line and T avidly watched the leaves on the trees moving in the breeze. When we hit the tarmac again we seemed to attract baby watchers like bees to a honeypot...what should have taken me an hour took nearly three because the world and his wife wanted to see the baby, have a natter and tease me unmercifully about becoming a granny...'I can remember your mum taking you to school...' (so can I ...she used to make me run if we were late!) 'OOOoo what a lovely little girl..whats her name?' (blank look ....he is all in blue with a blue monkey..perhaps her eyesight is going..bless) I was even presented with an L plate ferreted from a garage shelf....cheeky!!


Noticed the blackberries in the hedge by the farm gate ...so had to dash home to get plastic bowl and then teamed up with a real 'professional gran' She had arrived to take care of three while mum went to work and had had another couple dropped off as well....she was totally relaxed about it all....she was actually hiding by the rabbit hutch sucking well on a Benson and Hedges when I spotted her! Off we went looking like the raggle taggle gypsies (can I say that these days?.....too late just did....sorry to anyone offended...none meant) a good natured Grandad was hauled out of the TV to join us ...useful for the high ones. We spent two hours laughing at the kids squabbling over 'the biggest blackberry'...we all got stung by nettles and had to find dock leaves...left the spitting bit to the grandad. We stood and watched the buzzards wheeling and mewing above us...the grandad doing the nature study lesson for all the little ones...he was very good and they were mesmerized...back to the job in hand...we picked loads. The pram was weighed down with plastic cartons of all shapes, colours and sizes...well that's what prams are for aren't they? So many nifty numbers appear to be fashion accessories these days with scant regard for the actual comfort of the poor child. Mind you I sometimes wonder if some babies aren't just that as well but we wont go there...no rant today, the rant has gone away...bit of an old tune there...was it the Kinks?




So far this year we have picked strawberries, raspberries, blackcurrants, whinberries and now blackberries...still to come are the crab apples and the nuts...think I may need a bigger pram! T of course slept...oblivious to all the shrieking and laughing going on around his chariot. We free wheeled home down the bumpy lane watching the children playing horses on sticks they had found in the hedgerow. Professional gran sneaked another B&H on the way ...S has forbidden smoking in the house...gran's not offended...understands perfectly but enjoys her crafty fags.




T slept ..flat out in the shade of the tree until it was time for tea but first two doting uncles had to have a play time so there were shrieks and giggles that could be heard all over the village as they proceeded to vie for his attention. He has a toy mountain at home but looking at the amount here as well we could probably set up a stall. All these toys available and yet this afternoon we watched as five children between 6 and 11 played horses with sticks..they can still do it.




Most of you will have seen the picture below when Jackofall and I were hysterically trying to put pictures up in the common room using the wrong codes so I apologise for it..... but BOD...RAN...where are you....won't have seen it because she was away at the time and somehow didn't realise until the previous post that I was a real live granny grumble!




22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh look at those lovely chubby cheeks, bit like eldest, shes like a lat now
Our brambles not quite ready yet, just a few ready, not enough to warrant the prickling and stinging may a week or so, still early brambling in the school hols!!!

Westerwitch/Headmistress said...

Sounds like you are getting right into the Granny Grumble lark . . .

Chris Stovell said...

That's a great photo of your charge! Doesn't sound as if you are grumbling much at the moment and it was far more fun to read than the latest CL offering. (I know, I know, build me a bridge and get over it as Lily would say, but really!).

Bluestocking Mum said...

Just been catching up.

I have to say I don't see you as a Granny Grumble (but then I have my own 'Granny Grumble' that no-one can come close to!)

That little one does look absolutely adorable. I can just imagine you and him together...bet he always gives that big smile...

warmest wishes
xx

PS-lots of bramles ready in our woods...should be a good year for jam!

Dx

Norma Murray said...

What a little sweetheart! Somehow I can't see you as a granny grumble!

Suffolkmum said...

What more could a baby want, long walks in the woods with granny, while berries are gathered around him? Sounds like a pretty idyllic way to spend your days to me. Gorgeous boy.

muddyboots said...

gab a few blackberries on dog walks, strangely gordon likes them to, or does he just eat anything l throw at him? granny eh? eeeeeee

bodran... said...

He is absolutley flippin Gorgeous,, you lucky thing, look at that grin, A big reason to be proud xxoo

bodran... said...

I can finaly post on the common room but i have to log in everytime, far to tedious, and i couldnt post my blog today either...Bet your glad of the rest..x

Elizabethd said...

I well remember the first times I wheeled my first grandchild out, very proudly!

Blossomcottage said...

They are such fun mines coming again tomorrow, might not think its such fun tomorrow night!! after I have been gripping to the sides of the bed whilst the youngman sleeps across the bed.
Blossom

Pondside said...

What a wonderful day you've had!! You make it all come alive - and what a perfect use for a pram....to carry baby and fruit!
My two had a pram - caused quite a stir in Oklahoma.....but son and DIL want a fancy jogging number.

Annie said...

Granny grumble? No, never. You are an earth mother, a real natural. Baby T just seems to be following in the footsteps of your own "boys". As I well remember they were "real boys" and gorgeous with it. I caught a glimpse of middle son at the weekend and, wow, he's grown since his pram days.

tim relf said...

Hope it's as good a year for blackberries in Shropshire as it is in the south east! Had my first blackberry crumble last night, in fact. Fabulous!

Posie said...

Bod didn't 'ran' did she? Lovely blog, adore picking berries, haven't managed to gather many this year, the kids wouldn't join me. Posie

Anonymous said...

You have a georgeous Grandson SBS...and a smile that could fill a room with sunshine ...
do hope you both have many days together spent picking berries....i have memories like that with my granparents,i can almost smell the berries when i think of them ,so hopefully your grandson will have the same,lovely smells of ,blackberries and blueberries...but hopefully not the old b&h smell,now that would quash the memory....
enjoy being a granny SBS...i can't wait till it's my turn ...

Anonymous said...

You have a georgeous Grandson SBS...and a smile that could fill a room with sunshine ...
do hope you both have many days together spent picking berries....i have memories like that with my granparents,i can almost smell the berries when i think of them ,so hopefully your grandson will have the same,lovely smells of ,blackberries and blueberries...but hopefully not the old b&h smell,now that would quash the memory....
enjoy being a granny SBS...i can't wait till it's my turn ...

Chris Stovell said...

I love the idea of your double act - just think, between us we could make one sound woman with a bra!!!

bodran... said...

What are you going on about?? i'm there 7th comment down duuuuu
I found your pm this morning or should that be AM very confusing, i can tell you took the photo because he's laughing...TeHEHE

bodran... said...

Are you going to try and come on the 31st??

@themill said...

I like the B&H Granny! Sounds like my sort of lady.
Mine always ended up covered in blackberry juice with very few left for the pie!

Cait O'Connor said...

I remember that photo and that gorgeous grin. You sound like you are enjoying being a granny, me too.