Tuesday, 16 October 2007

The Written Word


I have recently spent two and a half days up to my ears in archives and old documents doing research for our local history project. I am trying to track down the truth behind some very lurid legends and have to trace a family of gentlemen landowners to work out who did what, when and to who! What struck me almost immediately was the age of some of the documents I was reading and handling even....they had been written when Queen Elizabeth I was on the throne. It felt weird and humbling. Some of the writing lapsed into Latin and it was off with a quick squawk for help to the lady behind the desk who just read it as though it was a shopping list. Sadly I think I may have blown one of the legends completely out of the water ...perhaps its a case of letting sleeping dogs lie...or lurid legends live on ...I don't know yet.


The strength of the written word was enforced yet again on Thursday when six intrepid purple people met up in Wales. As we sat around the dining table at ElizabethM's with the door open to the beautiful views of the hillsides and valley below we wondered at the strange feeling we shared ...that we had known each other for ages. Some of us were only meeting for the first time, some for the second and others just a few more and yet there we were yakking away for all we worth as though we were in the midst of a school reunion. There was none of that awkwardness when strangers meet. So what was our common thread? I suppose we are of an average age, arty crafty, country lovers...but it was the written word that has been our main communication medium.


In a tin trunk under my stairs are dozens of old postcards, saved over the years. Some tell first hand the story of my grandparents illicit courtship.....she was betrothed to another, he was a trainee police constable and younger than her to boot! Yet meetings were arranged, feelings discussed, agonies agonised over ...all on the back of painted pictures of Bridgnorth and for the price of a stamp. The postman must have been very discreet in those days. Just imagine doing that today! Others appear much later ...the grandparents are married and living blissfully happy with three children in various towns and villages throughout Shropshire according to where Grandad took up his Policing duties...shopping trips arranged between sisters, a discussion about elastic for Vera's knickers, a trip to see aged parents, to the seaside, lives arranged in words on little oblongs of card.


Then the letters....from sons to a mother...ensuring their safety in war torn areas of the world. The war years ...millions of letters confidently winged their way around the world...and even surprisingly reached their destinations. Whole courtships were carried on via letter for years on end. Letters came out of the Prisoner of War camps to be read and re read by anxious families and lovers. I can remember one lady showing me such a letter, it had turned to a soft material because it had been handled that much...she knew every word... It was from her husband ...when a prisoner in the Far East.


I wonder how the teenagers of today would cope if they had to swap their mobile phones and computers and resort to communication by letter or card to carry on a courtship, make friends, keep in contact with families? Wouldn't be as many young immature mothers with babies as fashion accessories for a start...whoops nearly on a rant there!


We were encouraged to have pen friends at school, we all read each other's letters from far away places such as Greece and Turkey that then seemed as unattainable as the moon. We had maps of the World to trace where these unseen people lived. Even when we left school we kept in touch with long newsy letters for years. It has diminished to a letter in Christmas cards now...but they still come and I still do them as well.


Leaving the tin trunk I can rummage around in the bottom of the wardrobe into piles of letters collected over the years. I remember vividly having a ceremonial bonfire of a huge quantity of letters from a boyfriend when the relationship disentegrated....Churston Deckle paper and envelopes...dozens of them...pale lilac or blue...cringe. ( a man using pale lilac paper and matching envelopes...yuk)


Perhaps we underestimate the power of the written word, in that it does break down barriers....how can you sit there in an attack of shyness when everybody knows so much about you anyway? Is that why when purple people meet there is this hilarious, hysterical atmosphere while characters are linked to physical beings? Ah well...back to the researching...but it does make you think...this written word business...I'm back in Elizabethm's dining room overlooking those hills...listening to all those voices clamouring for space as though we had known each other for ever......

13 comments:

Chris Stovell said...

Oh what a shame about the ceremonial buring of exboyf's letters but good to know you have kept so many others - quite a treasure trove you've got there... fiction book on the way?
When I was struggling with my arm this morning I had to laugh about what a strange embrace we would have if we met - we'd just bump into each other in our current state!

mountainear said...

And what are the archives going to look like in 100 year's time, with so much of our communication now being made electronically? (That doesn't sound grammatical!) Unless we print out our wonderful words they'll all just disappear into cyber space....ditto a lot of photographs.

Suffolkmum said...

Great blog. I know what you mean about meeting 'purple' people and feeling like you've known them for ever. That was quite a surprise for me. How lovely to have so many written family mementos - and to have handled papers from the time of Elizabeth 1st - wow!

Hannah Velten said...

So much of your post rang true for me, especially the love of researching old documents that noone has seen for years (and the sad trashing of legends and tales). But also the fact that today we are losing that written communication (although blogs are there in full force) between people - like all those wonderful postcards and letters you describe. P.s Are those your sheep, SBS? What breed are they? Mootia x

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a fantastic time with the Purple Coo ladies.

What a fascinating time you must have had looking back on all those archives. My eyes opened when you mentioned Elizabeth 1, that is fantastic.

Thank you for sharing that lovely blog.
Crystal xx

Faith said...

Really interestng SBS. I have loads of letters written to my mother - going back 70 years. I really must commit to doing something with them.

Dying to meet other Purplecooers.... but havent yet.

Elizabethd said...

so right in your comments about today's youth. Their 'communication skills' are so very different. I love to have a proper written letter.

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Fascinating stuff, SBS! How interesting to be able to delve into such ancient documents, and interesting to wonder what will become of the literary history of our own age. And great to hear about all these purple reunions going on - it's a great thing, all this writing.

Norma Murray said...

I think researchers will have a hard time in the future. They won't have the machines to decipher the strange codes we use nowadays to communicate. I have a whole box of reel to reel tapes that I would love to listen to but no longer have a 'tape recorder'.

Sally Townsend said...

History project sounds fascinating, hope we hear more. I guess we all wished we could have been in that kitchen !

@themill said...

Old letters - my idea of heaven. Have you read 'Letters of a Lost Generation'? They were the letters Vera Britten based 'Testament of Youth' on. Wonderful, but will break your heart.

bodran... said...

How's about a walk while your not in work? god's little mountain maybe? lovely photos and blog xx

Bluestocking Mum said...

What a super blog. Really enjoyed. Bet that treasure trove was so interesting, what a wonderful legacy.

And so true about the written word.
I feel I can communicate writing far better than verbally. I LOVE written communication and sometimes get myself all excited/tongue tried trying to say what I want to these days.

Never have that trouble with you purple coo lot thats for sure!!

warm wishes
x