Tuesday, 27 November 2007

A family day out!





A few years ago we decided to go to The Winter Fair at The Royal Welsh Showground, Builth Wells, little did we realise then that it was to become an annual event, for us as a family as well as the Royal Welsh Agricultural Society! We set off on Monday in rain and fog to travel the 50 miles down to Builth Wells, first time with a baby seat ...with a baby in it of course! The journey was grey and uneventful but as soon as we rounded the corner and went into the car park high on the quarried hillside above the showground the sun came out...it was beautiful.



We had decided that unlike previous years when we had little foresight or planning in our forays into the midst ..this year ...with a baby to think about we would be a tad more organised. We donned our water proof, weatherproof, wind proof gear including scarves, hats and gloves...we have been here before....we have frozen to the spot on previous occasions believe me! So suitably clad we headed for the farthest point as yet unladen to wend our way back through the huge buildings, halls, display rings and trade stalls so by the end of the afternoon we would be quite near to the exit and the car park.

Within half an hour we realised we were somewhat overdressed for the day ...it was warm...very warm. Cups of scalding hot tea added to the overall glow! Layers were removed and hung on the back of the pushchair...gloves shoved into pockets...scarves into bags. So different from the year it was so cold we had to find a stall to buy gloves from as a matter of dire urgency! The whole atmosphere is Christmas crossed with the Carnival feeling of an agricultural show. The animals are all preened and petted before being taken into the ring. Farming friends meet and greet each other as though they haven't met for years...perhaps it was the last market in Dollgellau or Weshpool or perhaps like us this has become an annual day out. Strangely enough we always meet the same people here as well......ah well great minds etc





I love the antique sellers hall with the old linens hanging pristine white, the china glinting under the lights and the beautiful old jewellery in the wooden cases all with such stories that could be told. One year I fell in love with a pair of Staffordshire spaniels....I next saw them comimg out of a Morphy Richards kettle box on Christmas Day. I keep looking at the Moorcroft china ...but somehow I doubt any of that will reappear on Christmas morn! The old tools are oiled and polished, copper saucepans piled up on each other, earthenware steins, old cutlery, beads and bottle stops.



The food hall is an amazing mass of bodies and smells as everyone gathers around tasting cheeses, chutneys, wines, whiskeys, curries, cawl, ice cream and waffles. Its like a huge party everyone clutching paper cups of something or other as they move on to the next stall clutching a bag of goodies to take home. I tasted cassis liquer one minute, mulled cider the next and Tracey passed me apple and blackberry wine with a hint of cinnamon and ginger that was delicious.....our bags were soon filled. Neil appeared..'Try this curry mum...' Nigel popped up...'have you tried this ....'



The trade stalls and shopping halls had to be explored for Christmas shopping ...books, cushions, clothes, toys...I had to find the man on the pure wool stall ...I bought a lovely blanket for the baby from him last year...I appliqued some frogs and flowers onto it ...Toby loves to stroke the patterns and I wanted to tell him that it washes like a dream...much betther than I ever imagined...I found him ...he was so pleased I had returned...especially when I bought another blanket.



The band played Christmas music in the winter sun and mince pies were on sale in The National Trust pavilion. I found a new handbag, a replacement for 'the black hole' which is virtually worn out...well its done some miles...my handbags always do! The men inspected the farming machinery as we found the cookery and floristry halls. The Souk was filled with far eastern fabrics, shoes, soaps, rugs and clothes ...at the summer show it houses goats!






The animal halls were vibrant with noise and the smells of sawdust, we laughed at Toby's face as we introduced him to his first close up view of cows, sheep, pigs and sheepdogs...his eyes were like saucers, his chubby hands reached out into the wool of a tame sheep and grandad exclaimed with glee.......'Natural shepherd this boy...can tell quality sheep when he sees one!' I saw grandad buying some draw tickets .....mmmm ...that's odd I thought!



By 4;30 we were exhausted and decided to head for home. I knew we had a pushchair for something .....where's the baby...he's not in the chair thats for sure!




Home ...back across the moors, hills and wooded valleys to a casserole that had been simmering away all day. The log burner lit we were soon unpacking and admiring our purchases...Christmas shopping? No problem...done and dusted!!


However just rewind a moment .....himself buying a draw ticket? First prize was a sheepdog puppy....I went berserk at the thought and threatened dire consequences should we have a winning ticket...........anyway as I was dishing the meal up.....the phone rang................

8 comments:

Annie said...

Lovely blog but you have left me high and dry. It appears unfinished as thought a photo is missing. Did you win the puppy? The suspension is killing. Hope to hear soon. A x

Un Peu Loufoque said...

AND? AND? AND?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

toady said...

Did you win the puppy? Dooo tell. The fair looked great fun. Pushcahirs are so useful at things like that. You can barge your way through and then trolley all your stuff back to the car.

Anonymous said...

Oh you naughty Snail! How can you do this to us. If you have won that pup, I demand photos as compensation!!

You obviously had a lovely day. I loved your vivid descriptions, I felt as though I was there too. In fact, I wish I had been. My husband, the farmer, would have been in his element. Thank you for sharing it with us. Now, if you will just share your other news.....

Crystal xx

Elizabethd said...

Waiting!!!

Suffolkmum said...

Me too! Can't help hoping you won him! Great description of the fair.

bodran... said...

You'll adore it when it arrives lol c'mon tell usx

snailbeachshepherdess said...

Sorry wipso...have removed blank space...nothing missing...honest!