I was sitting quietly giggling at Pipany's blog of her day from hell ...little did I realise I had one of my own in the offing ...that'll teach me to laugh at someone elses misfortune! So just beware when you read this ...if you feel the urge to laugh it will indeed be your turn next! You have been warned!!
Sarah Kennedy prattling on woke me at 6.15 ...no time to dawdle ...aaaarggghhhh its cold out there...frost and a clear sky but still quite dark! The ducks and chickens have to opened up before daylight and they are not amused! Youngest son has to be at Sixth Form College early because he is off on a trip to Salford University for a student conference. Wow ...sounds verrrrrrry important doesnt it? No buses at this hour of the morning so I have to drive the 15 miles to the college then back 27 miles to work. We saw a pearly dawn and sun rise over the wood yard in Bishops Castle. How romantic.........NOT!
Then the normal frenetic day at work, two meetings, staff problems ....the thought of driving back to Bishops Castle to collect said son was not met with enthusiasm I must admit. But when I reached home and found 56 Shropshire Stars waiting to be delivered I was very nearly distraught! Or sick! The relief delivery boy never appeared. So with lamb chops in the oven, mum and dad set off to do the paper round which is very picturesque in spring and summer but on a night as black as a bag it is something else! Look out for pot holes, milk bottles, gates that won't open, why are most of the letter boxes on the floor ?and as for lights on a sensor ...why do they all go out just before the step or the gate?....what a nightmare!
Just as we left one driveway, he was looking left to join the road and I wasn't in the truck properly ...well I was still in my work clothes and somehow a black smart skirt and top with black tights and proper shoes doesnt aid the clambering in and out of a truck like the green godess!! So as he took off I was left mid air...one foot in ...one dragging behind...one hand on the door and screaming obscenities like a fishwife! I broke a nail off! A toe nail at that!
We returned to the peace of home ...the phone rang! 'I will be in Bishops Castle in half an hour' ...how nice! So we both go to meet son hot from university and attempt to hold interesting conversation with sixteen year old who appears to be hyper on E numbers or similar and wants to talk for England! I found an empty tube of Jaffa cakes in his bag this morning which may account for that ...and of course the travel sickness tablets this family has to take like Smarties!
Back home we feed and shut up animals and rescue lamb chops from the oven and hopefully sit down for a late evening meal. Relax? Hang on ...no cake in tin ...sandwich boxes will be somewhat sparse so just fling a quick fruit cake together ...slap it in the oven and turn to press button on dishwasher ......odd noise!
It was like a horror film....I have never seen anything like it! Instead of water going down the plug hole in the sink ...there was 'stuff' coming up it ...and through the over flow! I stood there transfixed and staring in disbelief ...I thought I had fallen asleep and was dreaming! Then realisation dawned ...when this lot of 'stuff' reached the top of the sink...it was all going to hit the floor ...big time! Panic mode .....gimme some E numbers quick I need energy! Scream for help! (needless to say what with the episode in the truck and now this today I have no voice!)
The only way to sort it out is remove the plumbing between the sink and the dishwasher ...fine...but it is all behind the cupboard ...remove everything from cupboard and shelves and miles of plastic plumbing and bowls and buckets of gunge and wish for my bed ...with or without bedsocks! It took the best part of two hours to sort that lot out and replace innards of cupboard.
I fell into bed at midnight thinking in six and a half hours Sarah Kennedy will be prattling on again and I just might have to tell her to bog off! Oh and the cake was charred!
I hope you havent giggled .....because your 'Pipany' day may not be far away!!
Thursday, 13 December 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


19 comments:
Glorious, as always. I really enjoyed this, and you are S~O right; it always seems to follow that as soon as we have a giggle about something happening to someone else, then we trip over ourselves!
Oh poor you. Giggle? I wouldn't dare. I really don't need a bad day as I am, yet again, back on my crutches with my arthritis for all over Christmas..yes and that does include catering for Dutch visitors! Lets hope the New Year comes with another new knee.
I tried not to giggle!!!
Poor you.
Seriously heartening blog SBS!! slap together a fruit cake ? hmm impressed
My deepest sympathy, been there to many times mysel tolaugh at your discomfort!
I didnt giggle, had a similiar day recently and then the washing machine had one of those foaming like in the cartoons fits, bubbles spewing everywhere .... I'd used stergene instead of persil :: sigh:: Hope today is much kinder to you xx
Blimey, it wasn't me honest!!! What is going on at the moment? Hopefully that's our share of bad luck over with for the moment....pleeeease!!! xx
Not giggling at all, so don't want the hex passed on, thanks. HOpefully the next day will be better?? It certainly is true though that one gets Days Like That.
Yes, that was one stinker of a day.
How could all of it fit into a day?
I do hope that December sails much more smoothly for you from now on. And the new year, well, may it be truly happy.
xo
You have my sympathies - sounds like an average day on Westray.
And I'm with you on the lack of romance at Bishop's Castle timber yard.
Giggle? Moi? Of course not. Stay in bed next time.
A day not to be repeated, hopefully.
I didn't giggle either - winced lots when you lost the toe nail though. Ow! What a terrible day! I hope it's all over now. I bet the cake still tasted delicious despite the extra 'caramelisation'.
Heck, you poor thing. I haven't giggled. Definitely don't want to be subjected to Sarah Kennedy.
Crystal xx
HA HA HA HA HA and a massive GUFFAW [ love that word ] I'm afraid 99.9% of my days are like that, thats why i go out so much xxxxx
Oh SBS - the toenail bit made me shriek. Hope it wasn't too painful.
Hope you've sorted the backing up plumbing out by now, too. I should just put Sarah Kennedy on snooze.
Hi. I lived in Castle for ten years up to 98. I used to work on the Express & Star, the Shropshire Star's bigger and very much uglier sister. Did my apprenticeship on the Shrewsbury Chronicle in the early 80s.
Oh how awful - totally not giggling. Hope you have had some good days since to make up. and the toenail - made me shriek, never mind you!
PS I'm off to the dentist tomorrow too!
Post a Comment