Saturday, 30 August 2008

Familiarity breeds contempt?

We have been on holiday this week, it has been one of those 'Ourgate' holidays, if anyone asks where we've been..... it's the one at the bottom of our garden. One hundred and one jobs needed doing, all those things like calling into the bank instead of using a hot line to Delhi, getting shoes repaired, MOT the car, buy new dogproof fencing...to stop the errant lab Skye taking herself off for a walk ..alone. WALLPAPERING the bathroom ...done it at last!!

However it has not been a week without its moments, we started out with the Steam Rally on August Bank Holiday Monday...tick the calendar for next year. Tuesday was spent with youngest persuading him to complete part of his geography project a survey. We sat in a good spot in the car, him counting cars, me reading Purse Barley, a lovely book written by a farmers wife throughout the seasons on a farm in Devon. We spent most of the day in this fashion - just the car parks altered.

Wednesday found us in Bishops Castle on errands, but at the same time having a mooch around all the little alleyways that take short cuts across the town. We sat under an apple tree up on the castle ruins and looked down on the town as the Lords and Ladies had done before us ...sorry Bishops and ....em ...well whovever sat there with Bishops!

Thursday the weather started to resemble summer and when we had finished hum drum tasks we decided to use our NT cards and go to the closest property to us which is Attingham Park. I have been past the entrance a million times, I have watched the deer from the old road that runs alongside the deer park, but I had never been through the gates, neither had N! When we parked and walked into the first quadrangle I was open mouthed, by the time we had been round the mansion, the beautiful rooms, the dining room with its gold table settings and 17th C carpet, and the huge Victorian kitchen I was asking why hadn't we been before? How silly is that ? To live on the doorstep and not to realise what is there. Even then we had not allowed ourselves enough time and had to leave without seeing the grounds, undertaking the four mile stroll through the woods and the the deer park or the farm....

Friday - well ..if I wrote it you wouldn't believe it, so other than to say there were other bloggers involved, Mountainear, ElizabethM, Bodran, LawyerLady and KittyB and the scene was North Wales, of rolling hillsides, distant mountains, little towns with quirky shops, gardens and cakes...of course there was cake.This was a purple people on the move day ...cakes are part of it! ALWAYS! I shall just say the Bodran's shop is gorgeous, as are the clothes in it. The hired help was a bit suspect though..I watched as he wrapped my purchase, a beautiful soft jumper in a faded pink...well he would pass muster in any fish and chip shop in North Wales! Bless him, the long suffering 'Colon' I think he should get an award of some sort. I shall leave it there.......and go off into another fit of giggles as I see Bodran's face looking at her mop bucket...or rather what remained of her mop bucket...........

Right... Saturday...sleeves rolled up and ready for action ..wallpapered the bathroom ...start to finish 3 hours flat! N had gone to the shoot to receive new pheasants ...but they never arrived ...he stood around and waited for three hours ..when he came back ...job done! So off we went back to Attingham Park to 'do' the rest......

We met some of the herd of Longhorn cattle on the drive ...they are simply beautiful. Jersey cattle graze on the other side. Belted galloways in another paddock and a lovely big Highland cow roaming around the grassy walkways like a big happy dog. We set out on the long walk of the grounds - 4 miles, through mature woods, where you are welcome to let your dogs run free...Oh yes you can! (Well perhaps they might draw the line at Bodran with her pack of hounds)

The walled garden was our first stop ...the temperature inside was noticeably higher than outside. The walled garden is being brought back into cultivation and this year there has been one quarter cultivated and it is beautiful, with glossy vegetables and cutting flowers and of course huge sunflowers. The orchard just outside is full of heavily laden fruit trees.

We found a suspension bridge over the river, and stood an watched the fish below us jumping in the sun. The deer lay in the shade of the huge oak trees in the real summer sun. We could see them stretched out enjoying a rest in the heat of the day. There are 180 fallow deer at Attingham and it is an old established herd.

The Ice house was refurbished and opened last year and it was a joy to go down into the brick lined underground cavern where ice had been stored for use at the big house. Ice would have been collected off the pools and lakes in the winter and stored for as long as possible in such underground stores.

Back in the main grounds I was soon lost in the shelves of the second hand book store, the tables of plants, fruit and veg from the walled garden, all organic of course.

On we went to Home Farm to watch the milking in progress. Seven pea hens each with two or three chicks wandered around the stack yard ...as did, geese, muscovy ducks, a peculiar looking Canada goose, guinea fowl, chickens, a litter of farm kittens hung round the dairy door. Black piglets vied for our attention in old fashioned brick pig sties. Very large lop eared rabbits had the run of a long enclosure at the side of the childrens area. I peeped into a building labelled the slaughter house and left it quite quickly, there were some gruesome tools in there. Another little stable building held budgies and parakeets.

We left as the evening shadows lengthened, both wondering how we had never found all this before. Once home we had to hear how first driving lesson had gone for the 'baby' of the family and it was off to pick blackberries before dusk fell.


16 comments:

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Sounds like you had a great week! they are good these holiday weeks at home aren't they? Great to see you on Friday. I lost track of your cake and bet colin had it, mind you he earned it.

Frances said...

That is such a beautifully written report. It was fun to go along with you all to see Bodran's shop, and to share your delight at your first and second visit to the NT home. Wow! (Glad that you got all those household jobs done, too!)

Cheers,
xo

Chris Stovell said...

OOh, lots of things to make me envious; PCers, cake, and black piglets! I love piglets! I feel the need for a break and some time to recharge the batteries so good start reading about yours (and you got jobs done too).

Pat Posner said...

I do love your blog posts! Your holiday week sounds marvellous; you'll remember it every time you wear the pink jumper.

mountainear said...

Some people have holidays to rest! Having said that it sounds like an exhilarating week. Love those Longhorns.

Pondside said...

Wow - what a week. The visits to the NT house really got my attention - all that and a used book store too - bliss! I'm still envious of your visit with the other Purplecooers - but my day wil come.
The cattle - gorgeous - I have a thing for long horns, but only ever just to look, would never want the responsibility, although nearby farmer has a herd of Highland cattle that I visit often.

Maggie Christie said...

What a busy week! I love the sound of Attingham Park; I do enjoy a good walled garden. Great photographs too.

Cait O'Connor said...

You filled your week well SBS,it made a great read and I was envious of the purple meet-up.

Grouse said...

Sounds like a great week.......a week off!!!!!! I wish!!!!!

bodran... said...

I've gone dizzy !! and no it's not the wine gums, you havent stopped and your cake was lovely by the way. xxxx

Exmoorjane said...

Love the idea of your holiday spent mainly in carparks! Sounds as good as mine. But seriously envious of your blogging get-together... I can't wait to see Bodran's shop...
Attingham sounds good. And Bishops Castle.....sigh.....you know my feelings on BC (and the sublime Clun of course). jxxx

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Cake? Did somebody say cake? I want your life, SBS! One of these days... Yes, a great week and beautifully recounted. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Maggie May said...

Well you seem to be surrounded by lovely things and places to go so the "at home" holiday must have been a real treat!

Bluestocking Mum said...

I do love to hear about your antics! What a great week.
Sounds a fantastic day with your purple friends.(green with envy)

I love Attingham. Did several Craft fairs there-in the servants quarters-the Frost Fair-early December-something for you to look out for and I will join you (won't be doing them this year!)

Can't believe your lad starting to drive eh?

xx

Bluestocking Mum said...

Grrr. Am jealous to have missed out.
Purple cooers and Black piglets...and cake!

Grrr.
xx

Un Peu Loufoque said...

next time I want to ocme too please!