Last weekend found us on a mission to Wales for a diesel cap for the truck, I lost the original..oops, as you do, filling it up with diesel, left it on the pump and walked off nattering away, as you do - only for Mr Oh So Righteous saying about 50 miles later - 'you did put the diesel cap on didn't you?' Needless to say I gave him a filthy look as I uttered those immortal words, 'Course I did - what do you think I am? a moron?' When he checked a few miles later he just said one word -'Yes!' I have not lived this incident down for a few weeks.
One had to be ordered, bit more salt to be rubbed into the wound. Anyway on our way back from very nice 4x4 garage in Newtown we decided to wander off the normal route as we are wont to do ...sprotting round looking for For Sale signs, pretty villages, stone barns in need of TLC whatever...along the border with Wales. We turned off the Newtown to Llandrindod helter skelter road as soon as possible and found ourselves at the top of the Felindre valley.
The Felindre valley became famous a few years ago when this area experienced rather a momentous event and yes the earth did move for me and quite a few others that summer afternoon as chunks of masonry fell off buildings in Shrewsbury some 50 miles away. There is a fault line along the Felindre valley and the epicentre of the earthquake was slap bang right there, in amongst the open moorland dotted with sheep and sign posts to such places as Beguildy and Monaughty Poeth. I love these mysterious half Welsh, half mythological place names. Mary Webb did too because she used them in her novels set in the borderlands of South Shropshire. Beguildy, I think was a wizard type in The Golden Arrow, but was it Precious Bane? whilst Mrs Felindre was the matriarch in The House in Dormer Forest. Vessons was the 'butler' of sorts at the Hall in 'Gone to Earth'. Presumably Mary Webb would wander round these same high hedged lanes peeping over gates and through gaps in the trees into the valleys below with a story forming as she travelled.
Last week we found our way down the valley to Knighton and after a 'pit stop' we wandered back to A E Houseman's 'Clunton and Clunbury, Clungunford and Clun .the quietest places under the sun'...they still are. They are also very picturesque and guess where the camera was ?- at home!
I had never actually found my way to Clungunford before and immediately fell in love with it. Stone cottages with quirky windows hid under huge oak trees, gardens peeped out stuffed with hollyhocks and flocks, sweet peas and roses...chickens scratched in the dust outside a gate and alongside a basket of obviously free range eggs stood some jars of home made jam and an honesty box. I could live there, and paint pictures and write a best seller ...it just looks like that sort of place.
Today we went back for said diesel cap that for the price must be cast in solid gold but that apparently was of little consequence seeing as it was me that paid for the dratted thing in an effort to teach me ...TEACH ME ...to be more careful in future ...mutter mutter. We also took HIS picture to be reframed and restored ...with any luck it may disintegrate when they take it to pieces but I know I'm not that lucky. I stuck my two pennyworth in re the frame and the mount in the hope that I may find the 'new look' a bit more inspiring than the original. Its not a picture that inspires me to anything really, except a migraine perhaps, but he loves it so up with it I will have to put! So here IT is in its 'before' state and in two weeks time we'll see if IT is any better in an 'after' state ...somehow I doubt it. Anybody that doesnt know IT depicts the story of Beddlegirt - oops sorry can never resist that, BEDDGELERT ...Prince Llewellyn and his faithful hound Gelert who came to a rather nasty end.
.jpg)
Today after depositing picture from hell we found another route back, this time we found even more poetic names as we followed Offa's Dyke, and dozens of walkers in waterproofs, Pentre nant, Two Crosses, Three Gates, Edenhope, The Lurkeys, Mainstone, Llanhedrick, Shadwell, Mardu, Cefn Einion, Colebatch and back to one of my all time favourites Bishops Castle, I could live there as well. I could happily wander up and down the steep main steet listening to the quarter hour bell on the Market Hall clock and live in a purple town house with a black and white gable, or a green one with white spots...yep ...I forgot the camera again today ...blast!


14 comments:
So many magic places. I could live in them too.
I was living in the Felindre valley (between Beguildy and Knucklas) at the time of the earthquake but had no idea about the fault line and the fact that this was the epicentre until reading your post, fascinating.
It was an old house with thick stone walls and the only damage was a crack in one place between the internal and external walls. We'd only just finished lengthy renovation works, so I'm glad it wasn't any worse ....
Some years ago we looked at a house near Knighton - in a place that really wasn't a place, called New Invention. You describe the area well. Strange and lost I think. Much prefer Bishops Castle.
Best of luck with The Picture.
That was a wonderful blog, just full of strong thoughts, memories, and wise observations.
Isn't it funny that both of us would be writing about unwanted paintings!
Trade you the one in my lobby for yours!
xo
Two lovely posts to read here today. I'd love to tag along after you at one of the Agricultural Shows - they seem so much more agricultural than our fairs which have become rustic amusement parks.
I look forward to seeing what becomes of Beddgelert - perhaps the framing shop will lose it!
oh no dear I keep telling you move to France! Or if you must move I think "Lurkey" sounds too good to be missed..
Oh eeek to petrol/diesel cap - that is my perennial nightmare. I have to chant to myself 'I am replacing the cap, I am replacing the cap' or I drive off in a panic that I haven't....
Love love love those places - Clun is clasped forever to my heart. Didn't realise about the names in Precious Bane etc...fascinating.
By heck, that picture is even worse than I imagined.....my total sympathies. Do you have a really really dark corner somewhere? Or you could do what Adrian did with my piece of modern art (that cost me a whacking 500 quid) - ie bonfire it. jxxx
Forgot to say, Bishops Castle one of my favourite ever places too....if I didn't live here, I would live there (and get fit walking up and down that hill).
Yes, I sure know about those "never live it down" moments. I have a husband just the same!!
CJ xx
o i think it will happen to everyone one time o another
I would be back there tomorrow if I could!Please, please take the camera next time, (but don't leave it at the restaurant/roof of the car/stone wall/fill in this space).
Yep, it was Precious Bane. Love it - Kester another good one. Loved reading about your wanderings - diesel cap or not. That picture is never going to improve!
Oh, you have made me laugh with your offer of The Art Swap! There is a difficulty. Your painting is your painting, dog, baby and all the rest. The painting in my lobby
(still sounds like the body in the library) belongs to the corporation that owns this building.
Even if we could swap, I would be the winner!
xo
You know, I'm always leaving the petrol cap off, too - I think our local garage has a special bag for it so they know where to find it when I come back, red-faced a few days later. Love those mythical names.
Post a Comment