
I look down at those pictures in the post below and can still remember that searing heat and the desperation to get in the shade. It was the last really hot day for this year I should think. The following Saturday found us off again on the sheep trail. Following an advert in the local paper we wound our way down into Herefordshire, which strangely enough is not a county I have visited very often, other than getting lost in fog in Leominster once, and I think I had better gloss over that.
We found Kington but didn't have time to explore, so it is on my list to return for a closer look in the near future, but it looked very unspoiled, very quirky and quaint.
On we went into the hills following signs for various religious denominations - United Reformed Chapel one way, Anglican Church the other. We found the address and met some lovely people and admired their flock of Badger Faced sheep so much we bought six young ladies and were soon on our way home with them in the truck. This is the shepherdess that decreed NO MORE! But they are just so beautiful, we bought two last year and they have proved to be lovely mothers, need no intervention with lambing and just grow into such lovely unusually marked ewes. 

Today it was off to AE Housman country -' Clunton, Clungunford, Clunbury and Clun the quietest places under the sun...' not when there is a farm sale they're not! Landrovers clattering past with trailers heading off in search of a bargain. We followed the signs and found the field for parking and were soon in amongst the throng following the auctioneers along the rows of sheep hurdles, old machinery, troughs and fence poles. We veered off and went to look at the sheep, lined up in their age groups, marked and coloured accordingly. I was soon back to people watching....an old lady with wispy hair fascinated me, she was at the last farm sale we were at. She smiled secretlyas she passed a knowledgeable hand over the backs of the sheep yet she looks too frail to wrawl many about, and she was soon off to the machinery .....oh well! Wonder if that will be me in years to come? The shepherd came to find me with that eager look of a shepherd who has spotted the possibility of a bargain except I had left the cheque book at home --oops! (on purpose but dont tell him will you?)

Clungunford was on my list to have a closer look at, so we parked by the village hall and despite the faint drizzle a closer look I intended to have! Off we went down tracks, up alleys, across footpaths - nowhere was sacred - this was a shepherdess in action ...'plain nosey' he says! Yes I agree, but how is one supposed to get to the heart of a place without being inquisitive? 'Now if there is a burglary here tonight we will get the blame!' he mutters.

We found the Church dedicated to St Cuthbert - the same St Cuthbert as in The Farne Islands no less, famed for his ability to tame wild birds he is usually depicted with birds at his feet. A lane alongside the church led us to the mystery of the Clungunford Motte. A wonderful carved wooden story board in the hedgerow tells the story of how the Rector went out one night with a pick and shovel to search for treaure and pots of gold and changed the shape of the motte forever 'now known to the local folk as 'Bum Hill' and yes that's what it does look like! Did we laugh!


Home again and for shepherds and shepherdesses there is still work to be done, the little ladies have to be injected with Heptavac seven in one to protect them from 7 of the miserable sheepy ills thay can fall foul of. I jabbed myself one year and a few days later was unable to move my neck so thought I had better own up to the Dr. He said I would be OK for braxy, pulpy kidney and all the other ailments but had probably OD'd on the tetanus which was why I had a stiff neck! He laughed ! No sympathy there then!
All jabbed and tagged as the rain set in, just one more job to do, and that meant moving a tup lamb out of the range of ewes all about to come into season - he has come to live with a neighbour's goat until he becomes minted chops and lamb shank in the freezer. Bonnie the goat took one haughty look at her new friend and carried on eating as he sniffed round her rear end- the words coming out between chomping grass sounded very like 'dont even think about it you stupid liitle boy sheep!'

Another busy day draws to a close with the log burner lit and the shepherd snoozing away with two of the cats aboard as usual ....zzzzzzzzzz Tatty cat and Charley Stripe trying to stare each other out but falling asleep in the process.


17 comments:
That was a fantastic blog SBS, a great read first thing on a Sunday.
By the way where is your header verse from? I love it so, have mentioned it to you before but do not know its source? I probably asked you before and you probably told me.........
The name Cuthbert is in my family tree back in the 1600's in Northumberland, named for the saint I guess.
Your sheep look very fine.
You have caught those autumn colours perfectly. Now feel the need for a jumper in just those shades.
What a beautiful part of the countryside. I realy enjoyed reading this blog.
A great adventure through the country side ...thank you! Cosy photo at the end.I loved it.
Lovely pictures you paint with words, lots of sheep around here looming out of the mist in the mornings. I am still suffering the after effects of 'farm sales' my husband would pick up things that might come in useful one day, at least the wood keeps me warm at night, and the cats in front of woodburner.
Wonderful words and pictures.
I agree with Toady that the colors in that picture inspire me to all sorts of textile notions.
The badger face sheep are marvelous. I don't think that I would know about them if it were not for you. Thank you!
It has been such a pleasure to read about your travels and return to home. Please do stay nosy, and please do let us know all the fascinating things that you find out!
xo
great blog, mum as a child spent time living in rectory at Kington, the motte looks more interesting than ours by the way!
Interesting blog, even for me who can't get excited about sheep. Love the cat pic, so cosy.
Wow - what a lot you fitted into a great day. The injection bit made me laugh, an elderly shepherd comes to our lunchclub. He went into hospital for some blood tests and was intensively questioned about illegal drug-taking. He's 78!! Turned out he too had rcently accidentally injected himself and the results sent the blood tests haywire.
Just make sure you leave the needle behind when we meet up - my neck is quite stiff enough, thank you!
You and your sheep!! The badger faced look gorgeous. Sounds like you had a great day. Did you see any trains on your travels??!!
CJ xx
The photo is beautiful. Saw it on the main site and saved it myself-may use for wallpaper on pc!
Lovely blog and so interesting to hear about the sheep. The badger ones are amazing-their markings are so like...yep...a badger!
take care
xx
Lovely blog SBS - late as usual aren't I? How is it that cats can perfect the art of sleeping so beautifully? Graet photo at the top x
Oh, I've given you an award but you've already got it from Mountaineer... ah well!
lovely photos my dear, l do so enjoy reading about everybody.
Great blog and how busy and productive you all are! I also loved the photos, quite mysterious somehow especially the church door.
Hope you had a great day today. I didn't!
Oooh, you do have such lovely days out, SBS - please take me with you another time. I have fond memories of Herefordshire - H took me there once on a surprise weekend, and it was foggy then, too, come to think. Love the look those badger-faced sheep. Do you shear them and sell their wool?
Lovely blog, as always. xx
Post a Comment