
Ludlow in the autumn on a glorious sumnny day has to be seen to be appreciated. The sun warms the old stone of the castle and the rows of trees around the base fringe it with gold. As we stood on the steps of Dinham House and looked up at the castle walls someone had removed the Virginia creeper in a tidy up but strands of the blood red leaves still stuck in the masonry high above us looking like streaks of blood on an old grey elephant, battle wounds, honour scars. Dinham House, once the home of Lucien Bonaparte, Nelson's brother, has had a history that is chronicled in glass cases and story boards in a quiet room on the first floor, the rest of it is beautifully laid out as a walk round exhibtion of Clearview woodburning stoves. Each room is decorated and furnished to perfection and each room has a woodburning stove lit and oozing warmth. We sat on the enormous dark red sofa in the first room and just gazed around at the lovely wooden arm chairs, the fireplace, the mirrors, the baskets and stored up ideas for the future. Such a clever way to sell their product - warm you through well, relax you in beautiful surroundings and grab your cheque book on the way out - no they didn't - honest. But should you be in Ludlow it is a lovely way to spend an hour or so as we did yesterday- then just wander out into the Castle Square, call at Price's the bakers for something for tea, the Castle Bookshop and down the alley to De Greys where the atmosphere is warm and tea cups tinkle amongst murmered conversations and young ladies in black and white deliver white china and tea strainers to the table with deft elegance.
The cellar rooms in Dinham House with terracotta plant pots along the windowsills


The cellar rooms in Dinham House with terracotta plant pots along the windowsillsThen I could add some details of the visit to the dentist but I won't spoil it.....

On the way home I decided to take the hill route it was such a gorgeous day and found a wily old fox drinking from a puddle - I thought he would run off but he stayed on the verge playing with something, like a cat with a mouse. Camera out and ready I just left the car in the middle of the road and tried to creep back - me and 'creep' just do not go together really - and my heels clipped on the tarmac in places - he was just so engrossed in his game or stone deaf he let me get so close. His tail was old and manky more like a well worn bottle brush. I had a moment of 'yikes what if he goes for me? - bet he is rabid!' Another wild life photographer was born in that moment but I guess I may only ever have one picture in my portfolio....



13 comments:
Another lovely post, I particularly liked the photographs - fox included!
I'm interested in the woodburner photo!
Sounds like a great day and somewhere else on the list to visit.
CJ xx
Skipping the dentist part (I also need to make an appointment) your day out sounds so perfect. Wishing that I could have been there.
I love all the pictures!
What a wonderful way to sell woodburning stoves, I would have been immediately seduced !!
What a clever way to sell stoves - and learn history too.
Hope to join you next time perhaps.
I haven't been there for a few years but I love Ludlow. I once had a memorable few days staying at the Feathers. I hope the dentist wasn't too awful. Loved the fox, they do seem to be alot bolder nowadays.
I love those Clearview burner pics. My favourite is the one on a wild and windswept beach - well, there's a surprise. Glad you had such a good day our with Angel xx
Well I know i lefet a comment on this but it seems to have vanished. Great pictures as usual and I am another lover of Ludlow. it was a visit there that ended up with our move to Wales - long story.
What a clever way to sell stoves! It sounds like a lovely day out (dentist apart) and the photographs are beautiful.
What a treat getting that fox photo.
And lucky you having a dentist in Ludlow, mine is in Hay which is also a treat to visit though.
Two beautiful days - and you took the time to share them with us - thank you! I've never been so close to a fox and think you're very brave to have gone after that photo.
Wht a lot of Ludlow-loveians. That works better in my head that it did in type!
Anyway my favoritest place in the world.
When my Gramps was the secretary of the Box office they used to keep costumes and props in the cellars at Dinham! Looks like they hve been tidied up now though.
Say ello to it for me next ime you go. Lucky thing to have a dentist in Ludlow!!
Post a Comment