The forsythia is opening - just a few buds bursting tentatively - just a toe in the water so to speak. One aubretia floret and a handful of wind-blown pansies - and that is the sum total of the flowers in the garden today. But there is something on the move - pussy willows line the branches above the bird feeders all ready to burst, long tailed tits with pink and grey feathers flit from branch to branch muscling in on the bullfinches and the blue tits. A woodpecker whirrs in the early morning and its staying lighter longer in the evening. I'm on the move ...waking up from hibernation, having a look about, making plans, cleaning the old out to make way for the new. Waiting for the new shed to arrive, a load of topsoil will sort what was once the chicken run into a bit of an allotment - a bit shady but beggars cant be choosers.
We had to venture into uncharted territory today to fetch a load of hay. There are parts of this county I have never explored, always tending to hug the hillsides of the South so it was quite an eye opener to be in the flat arable swathes east of the Severn. Acre upon acre of cultivated land, few hedges, few houses, sparsely wooded. We spotted a field of cows enjoying the watery sun, let out for the day, a few ewes and lambs in paddocks side by side with rather smart horses wearing the latest fashion in designer rugs -( and those were just the sheep - sorry couldn't resist)
This evening found us on our explorations again as we delivered football wounded son to girlfriend's house to a village almost at the foot of the Stretton Hills and taking the opportunity to follow signs we wandered in and out of villages and hamlets of old brick cottages with mullioned widows, half timbered farm houses, beautiful barn conversions and then we saw Pitchford Hall as the dusk fell on the other side of the wooded valley - a fairy tale.

We had left youngest son in charge of the evening meal - getting some culinary practice in for those uni evenings. We arrived back to a perfect tuna and pasta bake - he'll be OK with a few more dishes on the menu besides beanz and pot noodles - one less thing to worry about - phew!
A couple of weeks ago we delivered him to the University for a visit and an interview - we sat in the car park and watched him nonchalantly stroll in - before his hand had touched the door he was talking to another lad and when we returned to collect him he was in a laughing group of Ned's, Joe's and Dan's swapping mobile phone numbers as if they had been on a holiday. While he was otherwise engaged we srtolled along the seafront in lovely sunshine - it was crowded - it was February - there were people with expanses of white winter flesh exposed to the sun - SUNBATHING in February - I give up!
Meanwhile back in the garden.............
17 comments:
Thought you must be keeping your head down until the worst of it was over. Just had a fantastic white-out snow storm - which came to nothing and now the sun is shining.
I'll have to go and do some gardening after all.
Loved the pic of the hall! What a building. Aaah - so that's what's happening in the chicken area!! Looking forward to hearing more...
Still wiping tears from my eyes at the image of you, the cat and the bath..............xx
What a wonderful post. Forsythia on the burst, and a son who just might be on the verge of being able to feed himself ... and others.
Spring cannot be too far off. xo
You paint a beautiful picture of the English countryside of my imagination. I hope spring really does settle in around your place after this long, hard winter.
Isn't it good to let those little concerns about our children (as they're ready to fly the coop) go, one by one...cooking, laundry, bill-paying etc etc
It's so lovely to see spring tentatively appearing. I loved the photo of that house, stunning. You're training your boy well! How lovely that he made friends straightaway.
Welcome back, you've been away too long. I miss your lovely descriptive eye and your accounts of your travels. Glad to hear that son seems so poised as he prepares for university.
Lovely post SBS. I love the architecture in that part of the world, so very different to ours up here. Thank you for sharing it with us.
CKx
feeling homesick now for those flat river meadows along the river severn!no blooming bushes yet, snowdrops are still looking pretty good though
So good to find you posting again. Like Chris I miss your blogs when you are silent for a while.
Just some faint stirrings of spring. I can feel a get together coming on!
Roll on spring and with it flowers and visits to lovely houses and gardens. I can't wait.
Fabulous - SBS is back! (mind you - lambing can't be far off now?) Love your descriptions of spring, and the mention of tuna pasta bake takes me back to an old boyfriend who had a culinary repertoire of just that dish... Don't think I've ever had it since! Shropshire looks beautiful this time of year.
Enfin!
Did wait for your re-appearance, SBS. The nature in Shropshire is quite far ahead of ours. Are you now going again for hens? I would like to add some poultry, we are waiting if this year we will have again some goose eggs - last year the effective male had become a victim of Mr. Fox. Loved Pondie's description of how good runner ducks are :-) - shall we go for runner ducks now?
I enjoy reading you!
That hall is just unbelievable....totally jaw-dropping. Love that your son can feed himself - and in such good style too. Sounds as though he'll have a fabulous time at university...which one is he going to, and what is he going to study? heck, doesn't seem long ago that I was packing my bags and heading to Manchester, with Not Just a Load of Lentils packed for my culinary delectation.
Signs of Spring on our side of the hills too but feel we are still hibernating - husband has "man flu"!!!
I love the picture of the hall too. A fairy tale indeed. I'm impressed to hear that the university-bound son already has his cooking and his new mates sorted out (perhaps the two are connected...?) Lovely to hear of the the early signs of spring too.
Love those heavily chequered buildings like the hall you picture. There are a couple I see as whenever I take the A49 up to Wrexham. Yes, spring is on its way (well it began in 1 March didn't if Midsummer is 21 June) and the clocks change shortly.
Hello, glad to see you rubbing your eyes and coming out of hibernation, a sleepy mole comes to mind ..x
Post a Comment