Friday, 10 April 2009

Albert the Asthmatic Owl


He's back!

I keep getting fits of dry coughing in the night at the moment, the legacy of a chest infection from hell or Outer Mongolia I know not which. As the coughing and barking subside and I sit there propped up on every pillow in the house I can snaffle without anybody noticing I can hear husky breathing. At first I think its me, and I hold mine - it carries on as I go blue in the face. It's not the gently purring shepherd either. I try a gentle cough, a 50 woodbine a day cough comes back in echo. Then I know - its Albert, the asthmatic owl that sits on top of our bay window on moonlit nights. I hadn't heard him since last autumn and thought he may have croaked his last owl pellet onto the lead flashing. He must be quite an old owl, we have been here twelve years next week and he has been gasping his last for at leat six or seven of them.

Try as I might I have only caught the briefest of glimpses of him as I creep to the window, he knows and disappears into the trees with a swoop and a cough. So I lie there and listen to his awful breathing and wonder if he listens to mine.

There must be a younger one coming to the bay window as well form the size of the pellets left. I wonder if Albert is teaching his successor to smoke as well?

On warmer nights I think Albert spends most of the night watching the woods from our window, perhaps it retains the heat of the day and gives his poor old feet some comfort.


We started the lambing yesterday - well I say 'we' - the shepherd had had the week off from paid gainful employment to oversee the first week, get the pens ready and do what needed doing to make it all run smoothly - bah!

Thursday he had to go in to work but I was only working a half day, home I toddled. Within 10 minutes I am throwing a hissy fit. Where's the gloves? where's the iodine? Where's the marker spray? Elastrator rings? As first ewe delivers large lamb with long floppy ears. Junior shepherd looks quizzically at it and then at me - 'Wing-nut' he uttered as he sauntered off......
Its going to be a long four weeks I just know it.............................

13 comments:

Maggie Christie said...

Huge sympathy for the coughing and chest infection. I've had one for three weeks now, but sadly I don't have a similarly afflicted owl for company at night! How fabulous to see him and for so many years. Good luck with the lambing. I hope everything goes smoothly.

Fennie said...

A silly old owl sat in some smoke
The more he inhaled the more he choked
The more he choked the more he purred
Wasn't he a stupid old owly bird?

mountainear said...

Thought you must be about to start lambing - hope the weather stays good for you. We've been very lucky so far.

Will you get time off for Flicks in the Sticks - Slumdog Millionaire - next week?

TIGGYWINKLE said...

I would love to have an owl at my window.I can just see the two of you keeping each other company, disrupting the still of the night. Good luck with the lambing.

Cait O'Connor said...

I hope you feel better soon SBS, at least you have company when coughing!
Good luck with the lambing.

Mars said...

Real lovelu blog.
Brazil loves your blog.
Don't be racist and visit me, ok?

Pondside said...

I hope you get dry and sunny weather for all the time you'll be spending outdoors over the next few weeks. Good luck!

Faith said...

Aren't you lucky to have a resident owl, and new little Albertine coming along too. Hope you are better for Raster.

Chris Stovell said...

You and Mags, what are you like? All this shepherdessing lark is wearing you both down! Love the thought of you lying there, holding your breath wondering who's doing the coughing! Naughty Albert! Best wishes for the lambing... I do hope you are going to have a rest afterwards, taps foot...

Anonymous said...

Wheeze buddies. You and the owl.
Great post!
"Albert wheezes.
You do to...
Two good coughs
To his one Twit-twoo"!" xxx

Anonymous said...

typo..(t double-o!)Brain cells too stretched for comfort.

Calico Kate said...

No pictures of Wingnut? Hope the rest arrive safely and that you found the gloves iodine etc etc!
Try Albery with some Coopol, if you've any left.
Hope you are feeling better soonest.
CKx

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Why, o why, are these blessed colds hanging around for so long? My sympathy. But, oh! how I loved reading about your buddy in wheeze! I adore owls, and am green with envy that you have one so near to you. Loved the post. Thank you.