Friday, 16 April 2010

A Friday in April






...and if I misspell any word by leaving an 'f' out blame the keyboard its going wonky.



I haven't been in here for an age - about a foot of dust and yellowed paper, needs a good spring cleaning but no time today.



I'm ON HOLIDAY - well if that's what this is - shall I say I am not going daily to my paid place of employment, instead its up at the crack of dawn and down to the sheep fields to check on the mum's in waiting. Just one lamb so far - looking after 14 is as time consuming as 40. Back home to walk dogs through the woods to expend some of their energy and get me a bit fitter, a desk job for the majority of the time isn't that good for a body really - so its two weeks of pushing off the winter fat. Loads of other tasks that needed doing are getting done, holiday sorted, BT sorted, chimney swept, hedge sorted, ironing - nah, OU assignment ditto .....getting there, well there's another week yet isn't there?



Anyway back to 30th March - the junior shepherd had his heart operation at the very high tech hospital in Stoke on Trent. We were up bright and early to drive there but didn't allow for traffic in said city and the fact the hospital is a town on its own - we were well past the allotted time of 8:30am when we rushed through the doors of the cardiac unit. Nice consultant met us in the corridor - he was dressed in his garb ready for action - 'C'mon I want you now' he shouted to G who was busy stripping off jumper as he followed in his wake at a rate of knots - we just chased up the rear gathering up clothes as they came off like a chrysalis emerging...then they were through the 'No Entry' doors and that was that. The doors crashed back - consultant barked 'Book him in mother' and was gone again.......... I did as I was told and we wandered out into the murky streets of Stoke on Trent. We found Mooorcroft pottery more by accident than design and I duly whimpered around the display shelves. I failed to raise a whimper in Dudson or another one we found ourselves in. Doulton was shut up and partly demolished, Spode has gone and we didn't get as far as Aynsley before being summoned back to the hospital.



G was sitting up all bright eyed and bushy tailed eating his lunch, nice consultant comes barking down the line of trollies. 'I've got rid of six rogue vessels' - 'SIX?' I squeaked wandering how much there was left, we only thought there was one 'rogue', 'Yes six, and I need to have another three out but six is enough for one day....' then he produced beore and after pics and I thought I was going to pass clean out. 'He is likely to have a lot of pain, if its not bearable come into local hospital for analgesic help, he's lost a lot of blood, will be dizzy and faint - take him home - see you in the summer - bye!'



The shepherd was on home nursing duties in the days that followed - home nursing doesnt come that easy to him really, being a patient doesnt come that easy to Jnr shepherd either - they had words, he got better very quickly. The difference is amazing, nice colour, no headaches, RUNNING - never seen before.



So he goes back up to the coast on Sunday to resume his studies a lot fitter than when he left there on 27th March. 'Shirley' the long board will be going too.........ahem!



Meanwhile spring has sprung, the pussy willow tree in the front garden is amazing, the sweet smell of the spring flowers is coming in through every window and we have only got one lamb after one week of full time shepherdessing. I can however get nearer to the girls now, they have come down off the top of the bank to have a look at me ........

16 comments:

bayou said...

Great news, SBS! Good to see that your son can go back to uni in a good shape. I hoped to see more lambs this week but obviously, those ewes take their time. However, am looking forward to see them arriving! I wish your good weather continues, here it is obviosuly going back to winter and every night is frosty and today not more than 6°C, quite dull. I still dream of these delicious trouts.

Frances said...

SBS, I am so glad that your son's surgery was successful, and that he's been able to return to school. Best wishes to you all on the next round of vessel care.

It must be amazing to experience the lambing season!

I'd love to hear more about your visit to the Potteries. As someone who's always liked collecting old china, it really saddens me to think of the end of production. (Much happier thinking of all those new lambs!)

xo

Pondside said...

Shepherdess,vet, nurse - you are amazing. I hope the girls do their duty in good time so that you can have a day off at the end of your working holiday.

bodran... said...

Pheeewwffffffff what a holiday!!
Great news about jnr sheperd.. xx see ya soon call me .

Twiglet said...

Glad all is well for jnr. Its amazing what they do these days and just as amazing how quickly youngsters bounce back. Hope the lambing goes OK

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

So good to hear from you and great news about junior shepherd. You don't do things by halves in your family do you? Hope the rest of your so called holiday goes smoothly! Love the all action, barking consultant. That's surgeons all over for you. I suspect that if they show any people skills at all they are not allowed to train!

Ivy said...

Can only echo the above: glad junior is so much better now. Hospital appointment sounds a bit surreal but if they did the trick it's what counts. Hope you can relax at your desk once you get back to your paid job ;-))

Tattieweasle said...

Fantastic news, if blogger will let me say it, one that it went well and two that it worked. Hopefully you have enough holiday left to recover!

Molly said...

Have seriously missed your blog posts - great to have you back SBS.Junior Shepherd's ordeal at Stoke must have been pretty stressful for all of you. Good news he's on the mend again and able to get up to all the hi-jinks in Aber again.

Grouse said...

Just remember, Darling- if the head is too big, 2 fingers up the a*** and over the forhead will do it.........oh! ....sorry!...are we not on to lambing yet?!??!

her at home said...

Have image of consultant surgeon and it isnt a pretty one. Glad it went well I don't know about a holiday spent lambing I think you need a stint of real R and R after that!

ps word verification is synotie which is what I will do to him on your behalf if he falls off theat ruddy board again and gives you too many more sleepless nights!!

Maggie Christie said...

Glad to hear Junior Shepherd's op was such a success and good luck with the lambing too. How sensible of your ewes to wait for a bit of nice sunshine.

Fennie said...

Gosh, what a jump to take in your stride! So glad all was successful. Best wishes to Junior Shepherd.

Chris Stovell said...

I've missed you! Good to see you out and about, but, phew! even better to hear about Jnr Shepherds's transformation... er what's he going to be like when they do the other three?!

So pleased to read about what you've been up to.

Friko said...

Good, the news is good. I bet you're relieved.
What do you mean, you're not doing any ironing? No ironing, but enjoying time off? Disgraceful!

Offley Hoo said...

so very glad to hear all went well... so very stressful for the mums....

hope he enjoys last bit of this year at uni and gets ready for yr 2..