Monday, 2 May 2011

what a weekend that was!

Did anybody else watch the wedding with tears dripping off the jawline? Snivelling wreck that I was! I had thought I would just watch bits and pieces and do something constructive with the additional day off - hah! Once I started I was not going to miss a moment - I loved it and time simply flew by. In the 'interval' when they were involved in canapes and chapagne behind closed doors we nipped over to see friends, ended up with glasses of bubbly just as the happy couple again graced our screens in the Aston Martin - more tears........oh dear.












The inevitable street party took place - themed of course - Kings and Queens - the littlies loved it!












There were all sorts of interpretations - Prince Charles was there with Camilla, they were rubbing shoulders with Freddie Mercury and Oliver Cromwell, King Canute was deep in conversation with the brides mother and there was a Queen Bee whizzing about. As per normal it carried on until dawn and there were a lot of sleeping bodies on lawns for the rest of the day.



































old friends had a lot to discuss......



I sat in the sun thinking abut the wedding and I really hope that it will mark a turning point in this country - that having seen how the whole country came out together to enjoy the royal wedding in an age when other countries are ripping themselves and each other to bits that we really do appreciate what we have. Perhaps it will have nudged us into appreciating family values, simplicity, honesty and humility instead of the crass celebrity culture that has overpowered us in recent years. Looking back it all seems a bit tawdry and second rate -the Jordan sagas, the sleaze, the overpaid footballers and the WAGs then on Friday we saw a class act. It was fabulous.





We ran away today for some peace and quiet - we found ourselves in Welshpool market - LOOKING AT SHEEP! Then it was on to Erdigg for a lovely wander round the house and gardens in the sunshine - but there was no peace and quiet - it was absolutely heaving - the lawns were full of folk with picnics, children playing in the great swathes of white narcissi - hundreds of famlies out for the day enjoying the wonderful weather and our heritage - hmmmm - the magic is starting to work then? I so hope so............

10 comments:

mountainear said...

Sheep? They're a hard habit to break. Did you buy any?

I had to escape back to Manchester to do my wedding viewing. Well worth the journey.

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Your village party sounds great – love the sound of Freddie Mercury mingling with the Queen Bee and King Canute. Think I would have probably had to be a rather disgruntled Olivia Cromwell (although I have to admit to being rather transfixed by the whole shenannigins against my better judgement. I wish they'd shown the bit where the horse bolted, though.)

Annie said...

Fab post. Looks like a great time was had by all......and who did you go as?
A x

Fennie said...

I didn't think I would watch much of it but them found it compelling and even opened some champagne. I am even asking people today whether they enjoyed the wedding; most are so glad to be asked. No parties, sadly, not sure who I might have arrived as: something from 'The Once and Future King, perhaps. 'The Ill-made Knight? 'The Queen of Air and Darkness?' - I've always had a subdued hankering for a full-bottomed wig.

Fred said...

I was touched by the way it still felt rather personal despite the watching millions.
It's what we do best and just think of all the squillions of £s The Royals bring to this country. We had a tophats and tiaras party, kicking off at 10am - it was a long day......:):)

Bluestocking Mum said...

As you know I was there waving my little Union Jack and donned in red, white and blue.

It sounds like you had a fab time too, albeit in more slightly more partying surroundings!

Look forward to seeing you...oh, yes,... tomorrow.
D
x

Friko said...

You never cried, did you?

It was the sleb do to end all sleb dos. I watched for hours, feeling suitably sneery. But I sincerely hope that this pair will make a better go of it than parents and uncles and aunts.

The only intact couples in that lot were the grandparents and the Middleton parents. Talk about taking us back to family values!

What, more sheep? Weren't you twisting his arm to get rid of them for good?

Twiglet said...

Great blog - where's the photo of you as Queen Bess then?? Sounds like a fab party.

Chris Stovell said...

Helloooo! It's been a while! All quiet in our new village, except for champagne slurping in our house with daughters and their partners.

Pondside said...

We taped it and then watched it a civilised hour - 0300 was a bit early for me~ It sounds like you had a grand celebration!