Sunday, 1 July 2007

Street Party

The arrival of the fire eater in a wetsuit! Jack The Jester ..Shropshire Arts Alive




Well Bodran I knew you were with us at our party....it rained! Did we care? Nope! Just carried on as usual well prepared for the occassion with beef stew and dumplings, vegetable curry, minted lamb, rice pudding and jam and meringues.


The bonfire smoked our eyes out and left us with a kipper feeling. However the fire eater was on top form as usual. The few fireworks we had left from the bonfire do last year went off in spectacular fashion...mountainear did you see them? It would have been a very brief interlude!


Little walking friend and I were in agony with smoky eyes and to cap it all an ant went up my trousers and I have got the bites to prove it, anyway we retired to my settee and watched 'The Long Engagement' as recommended by Un Peu whilst the kids sang football songs in the lane and everyone else got totally plastered in the rain! Little walking friend sat there with Vimto bottle full of martini and lemonade swigging away ..trying to read subtitles with no glasses.


Whilst I write this youngest is in a sleeping bag in the lounge having given up his bedroom to young lady.
I can hear movements outside which heralds 'all hands on deck' to clear up the garages retrieve the gazebo that is currently half way up an oak tree in the field, fill everybody's recycling boxes to the brim and generally tidy up.
I think our 'street party' has become quite famous in the area...either that or each house has far too many people living in it!

15 comments:

Faith said...

He looks rather odd, but sounds like you had a great time - despite the ant in your pants!

Anonymous said...

Great photo's. He does look a bit odd! Sounds like you had a great night though. Ants in ya pants! Couldn't think of anything worse.

Crystal xx

Un Peu Loufoque said...

Oh still raining here do hope you enjoyed the movie.Do let me know!

Cait O'Connor said...

Sounds like you have a great community there. Food sounded tasty too if not usual summery fare,but this is not usual summery weather.
Caitx

snailbeachshepherdess said...

PS......nice neighbour at No. 2 made bacon and sausage omlettes as we cleared away which were great...young lady has eye make up back on and is wishing to stay whilst young son has a face like a bag of spanners and is wishing she would go! Kids!

Elizabethd said...

Interesting traditions!
You asked about French health system so I have written a little blog about it.

mountainear said...

There's a fine figure of a man! How astute of hime to be wearing what appears to be a wet suit. What sort of weather was he expecting?

Glad you had a good time. Sorry we missed the fireworks.

bodran... said...

It sounds hilarious!! and i was there in a wet suit on stiltsxx kids hey lol

Bluestocking Mum said...

It sounds great fun!! Much easier to imagine now I know that I can visuallise what you will look like!

That would have been just my thing!
I love get togethers like that.

Warmest wishes
xx

Woozle1967 said...

Sounds great - especially the sneaking back to the sofa and swigging out the bottle!!xx

Maggie Christie said...

Great fire eater! How did he manage to get himself lit in the rain? Fireworks too? What a party!

Pondside said...

Sounds like a wonderful party!!! Fitting for our Canada Day celebrations!
Good luck with the return to work - you're bound to be tired for a while - it's a different kind of fatigue, isn't it?
So you have friends that went to Manitoba to farm! They must be hardy folk as Manitoba tends to have an unforgiving climate! If you ever visit them you'll have to arrange enough time to come out to the coast too!

Suffolkmum said...

It sounds like a brilliant community and lots of fun. Yiles on suddenly having to be a respnsible parent - I've got all that to come! Just caught your one below, I know exactly what you mean about getting back to work to find nothing has changed, I remember that after maternity leave.

Suffolkmum said...

It sounds like a brilliant community and lots of fun. Yiles on suddenly having to be a respnsible parent - I've got all that to come! Just caught your one below, I know exactly what you mean about getting back to work to find nothing has changed, I remember that after maternity leave.

Omega Mum said...

It sounds brilliant. And that's a very kinky outfit. Send him over.....