Well the title thing doesn't work...again ....but then it did yesterday when I had finished ....weird!
I do not seem to be able to log on to the new skool site...but won't panic just yet! Its all toooooo much for this hour on a Sunday! I wanted to ask Mountainear how she does raspberries in Vodka...or how long to leave them for? But I can't find her either!
My cauldrons are boiling...blackcurrant jam and gooseberry and elderflower jam ...went picking fruit yesterday in the SUNSHINE....the real McCoy no less!! It was a lovely day the heat was bouncing up off the grass....talking of grass we thought of offering the lawns up as a silage crop....stripes? Don't be daft there's wild animals hiding in that! Elephants at least!! We found the damson tree had blown down at the top of the garden ...bang goes the damson jam...but here's to some logs for the log burner!
Anyway why I'm here on a Sunday morning is a bit of a rant and hopefully to allay some fears for Funkymunky and a bit more about my "little girl" who stays with us for one week each year.
Firstly I hope this does not offend anyone...I try to be politically correct but may fail. I am not racist in any way shape or form, I was brought up in a lovely atmosphere by well read parents who had friends of all colours and creeds and I hope I have brought my boys up in a similar fashion.
As you may have read yesterday Tanysha is of mixed race and she is extremely attractive. She has had to leave college because of racism taunts from the Asian community. That is what she wrote in her letter and I make no comment.
We were on a trip to London one year ...I think she was about 13 at the time. We had a lovely day in London..a first time trip for Tanysha and youngest son and indeed himself. Me? ...Hell I had lived there for a little while when working there..an awful long time ago. We did the sites, had a ride on an open top bus and even went into Lambeth Palace...well it was a Church organised trip.
The day passed and we were soon on the way back to the Midlands along the motorway when we stoppped for a comfort break. We decided to get drinks and found a table outside in the sun. Thinking about the length of the journey we still had ahead I decided us ladies had better find the facilities and off we strolled. We were actually walking with linked arms chattering away or rather T was chattering and I was probably laughing. There were numerous other coaches parked and lots of people sitting in the sun.
As we passed a group of tables where a group of elderly ladies sat resplendant in jewel coloured saris like a collection of exotic birds one leaned forward and spat at my feet! Charming I thought...ignored it and carried on! It happened at least three more times and I was getting a tad cross!!! We rached the safety of the ladies and I stood there fuming...'what the hell was all that about?' Tanysha hung her head...'its because of me..my mum gets it all the time'.......I was mortified......it appears that because she is obviously mixed race.....and her mother...on this occassion they assumed it was me...is white...therefore her father is obviously black.....are you still with me? Well apparently the elderly ladies of Asian or West Indian origin disapprove of white ladies mixing with black men.....very no go!!!...And boy do they make their feelings known! I was absolutely horrified!
We strolled back ...linked arms and heads held high...and yes we were spat at...that often I lost count!
So it appears this 'racism' has now fouled up this very bright young girl's education ...and not one to take things lying down I am today writing to her mother to tentatively offer her a few alternatives.....I hope she will not be offended.
...and I sincerely hope I have not offended anyone who may read this....I have just simply told it as it was.
Sunday, 8 July 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


11 comments:
How totally shocking!!
I was brought up with a female Alf Garnett so I regret I can see the comments and know all too well about white girls not mixing with black men....
Thank heavens I was never tainted by her bigotry...I find it deplorable...
You are a love Snailbeach...Bet it is nice in your kitchen with all those cauldrons bubbling away...
Have a good day
warm wishes
xx
PS-ANd remember I need your address!-Can post tomorrow then!x
How terrible for both of you! I didn't even know this sort of thing went on - though I know the Indians do have some traditions which we Brits would probably find quirky at best (ie shunning women with no children as they are considered an unlucky omen)
I sometimes get funny looks from older Asian people when I'm out with my husband and/or daughter, but have never experienced anything like you did!
By the way, I don't think there's anything remotely offensive about anything you said - you merely told the truth!!
And thank you, I did find your blog very helpful and insightful.
I was exceptionally lucky as I came from a well educated, well travelled background where every cultural was thought to add its own special sparkle to life and was encouraged to learn all I could. I had no idea that other people did not see the world that way until I left school and discovered myself considered second class as I was an English Catholic.
I am so sorry for your young friend. I do hope she is able to rise above it and that out of such discrimination some good may come, although for the life of me I can not see what, except perhaps her determination to do well regardless.
I am so sorry that there is still such bigotry about.
I'll bring this discussion down to earth. Raspberries in Vodka - Un Peu will probably be more familiar with fruits in Eau de Vie. I put about 250gms rasps in a 1 litre bottling jar, sprinkled a little sugar over and topped it up with vodka. gave it a shake to disolve the sugar and will now keep in the dark for at least a month - by which time the vodka should be infused with the taste of raspberries. Now what do you think I'm going to do with it?
The raspberries are edible too - just don't leave them for too long if you want to eat them. For vodka substitute gin - it's an imprecise art.
I've got in at the new skool - but owing to stupidity on my part gave myself the wrong user name and then my browser decided not to let me log in anyway.....so to cut a long story short, I've not blogged over there and am hanging round these school gates.
The customs and mores of others can sometimes astound us - as your story illustrates. I do hope T can find a way to continue her education.
Raspberries in Vodka? Hmmmm now that sounds wonderful. Hope we all get invited to the party mountainear... well at least the ones of us that live close enough to stagger home. Just make sure it's not in the week or the hems may suffer next morning.
Blimey! I am shocked to say the least. I didn't know this kind of thing went on. I am not streewise and consider myself to be somewhat naive. I am so sorry you had to endure such disgusting behaviour. They should be ashamed of themselves. I don't want to say anything else. I'm actually quite horrified.
With love, Crystal xx
this is shocking. l really find racism offensive. we have an iraninan & a black young man of mixed race & l will throw customers out if they make any comments about race. it goes to show that all races are potential racists.
How did you control yourself!!!! Those ignorant b.....s would have been licking it off the pavement!!!! i can't stand racism or spitting!! [ have been known to call attention to spitters very loudly in the street col hides].do really still want to meet me in de.greys???? xx
Very sad that this still goes on all over the world. No culture, no country is free of it. I'll never forget the day that my beautiful 5 year old Lillypad came home crying because "Elizabeth says I can't play with them [the girls in her classroom] because I have brown skin". Elizabeth, incidently, came from a very sad home. That's how I approached my response - that Elizabeth was sad and wished she had a Mummy and Daddy who loved her as much as Lillypad is loved.
It's always about fear, in every culture.
Funny isn't it, how we tend to think we have a monopoly on racism....but I think it occurs nearly everywhere, which is a deeply sad thing.
I too am desperately boiling cauldrons in my kitchen, a bit lost without my aga but desperate not to waste all this fruit.....gooseberry jam comes next ....though might be tempted to save the goosegogs for crumble (a Nigella recipe) and then mix the remainder with rhubarb for jam.....
Just read this blog and I am horrified.
Caitx
Post a Comment