Saturday, 13 October 2007

Charlie......12:11:13 - 13:10:86


It is 21 years today since my dear old dad passed away and I haven't got a grave to attend and the lawn where both his and my mother's ashes are buried together is so impersonal...so I'm just putting some here and a poem from Mary Webb which was dedicated to her father. She was a dad's girl as well. So for 'dad's girls' eveywhere ..........

Treasures

(for G.E.M.)

These are my treasures: just a word, a look,
A chiming sentence from his favourite book,
A large, blue, scented blossom that he found
And plucked for me from some enchanted ground,
A joy he planned for us, a verse he made
Upon a birthday, the increasing shade
Of trees he planted by the waterside,
The echo of a laugh, his tender pride
In those he loved, his hand upon my hair,
The dear voice lifted in his evening prayer.



How safe they must be kept! So dear, so few,
And all I have to last my whole life through.
A silver mesh of loving words entwining,
At every crossing thread a tear drop shining,
Shall close them in. Yet since my tears may break
The slender thread of brittle words, I'll make
A safer, humbler hiding place apart,
And lock them in the fastness of my heart.


The flowers were at Marton Church at their flower festival in the summer, Marton a village he knew well...and he adored flowers ...especially red ones. I have tried to put up a picture of The Long Mountain ...his soul is undoubtedly up there ...but this machine is definitely not playing today so it may suddenly appear on its own, by itself, with nobody with it, much later! It has!!!

9 comments:

Elizabethd said...

What a very beautiful poem. Like you, I had no grave to visit for my mum, so we had a tree planted in the crematorium. I'm sure it is in Nature that we find the souls of our loved ones.

Sally Townsend said...

I'm a 'Dads' girl. I think if you had a close and loving relationship with your Father then you have been blessed in life .

mountainear said...

I really only got to know my father after my mother died. How I wish he were alive now and seeing us living in Shropshire, in the countryside he loved so much - and, now we have a few acres of land I really wish he was there to ask agricultural questions of.

Love both your pictures - Marton Church looked stunning that flower festival weekend.

Anonymous said...

Simply Beautiful.

Your memories of your lovely dad are very much at the forefront of your mind, as are mine for my own dad. Take care today.

Crystal xx

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

A beautiful poem. I think you are right to feel he is in the landscape, lovely photo too. He clearly lives on for you.

Withy Brook said...

I waa a Daddy's girl too. He was a great reader and I think it was he who gave me a love of reading.

bodran... said...

That's lovely, can say no more cos i need a tissue xx

Chris Stovell said...

And from another Dad's girl...

Lovely words, SBS and lovely thoughts. Strangely my dad turned up in a dream on Friday night (no, he didn't say get your bum on that writing seat!!)and I missed him all over again when I woke up.

Here's to your Dad and treasured memories. best ChrisX

Bluestocking Mum said...

I always wanted to be a daddy's girl.

This really touched me SBS. What a moving poem.
You were blessed to have him and him lucky to have a lovely daughter like you.

warm wishes
xx