Monday, 19 November 2007

Mother lays the law down!


Write 50,000 words in a month? Not a hope ...I doubt I will manage 500! I would have loved a bash at it though and will be watching those that are taking part with envy ...and support of course!!! Good luck ladies ...go... go... go!!!


We had our 'street' party on Saturday night...the catering is down to a fine art now ...always the same menu, but we know what we are doing now..so its basically stress free. A large beef stew with at least 75 dumplings, sausages...dozens of 'em, a vegetarian curry and every house does a pudding....no problems! The fireworks were OK, the mulled wine flowed and was kept warm in the fire embers.


Youngest son had invited four friends along ...they've been before ....G says they dont need asking twice! They have some cans of lager or cider 'hidden' in our trailer so they dont get into the adult supplies. Not enough to get them in a state ...just a few so they feel part of it. I have always let my boys try alcohol at home and at 'do's' such as this so they know what they do and dont like, and the side effects ...before they get out in public! My laying down the law includes 'should you feel sick ..stay outside on the garden bench ...neither me nor my Persian rug 'do' vomit!' OK?


Then I watched them ....they all played 'Star Wars' with the little ones that had been allowed to stay up for the event....they didn't care...these sixteen year old boys normally quite aloof and oh so cool.....with light up swords and goodness knows what all shrieking and running around with six year olds .....so gentle with them as well. I dont know who enjoyed it the most.


Unfortunately I missed the mulled wine completely and was quite happy with some plain soft red......I can remember the curry ....I can remember the red wine ...I can remember laughing because my feet were hot ....and 'frothy'! I swerved down the track to our house for a loo stop and to check the dog was OK after the fireworks. Couldn't find the dog! Searched round the house ...she is not allowed upstairs. Strange lump in our bed? One dog right under the quilt ...and refusing to come out! I can remember sitting on the bed laughing helplessly at her and me! I cant remember another thing!


......Later...much later Nigel tried valiantly to remove my waterproof windproof zipped up jacket....apparently I got quite aggressive at not being allowed to sleep in my coat. I had however managed to take my shoes and socks off...well my feet were sooooo hot! The dog wouldnt move and positioned herself between us...he gave up rather than upset her...and slept elsewhere!


The boys sat around the fire discussing education, politics, Christmas commercialism and social reform with the adults......somehow I think it will be me getting the 'talking to' before the next street party!
The last word has to go to one of the sixteen year olds cocooned in sleeping bags next morning on the lounge floor as I teetered in with a tray of tea and toast for them...wishing I could just go back to bed......'Good job you weren't feeling sick Mrs P otherwise it would have been a night on the garden bench for you!' I gave him a black look and muttered those inevitable words...'smart a*se!' and went back to bed with much tittering following me.........


Meanwhile back at the sheep ...Fergal a lovely young gentleman ...quite a 'toy boy' in fact arrived from Wales! Unfortunately 'blue tongue' restrictions are in force in England but not in Wales..so Fergal is here and cant go home until the restrictions are lifted..despite the fact that his home is only about 10 miles away! Red tape and agriculture ...again! I just feel so sorry for farmers trying to make a living in agriculture ...because the bottom line is...they cant!


18 comments:

Casdok said...

How funny! Maybe you were showing the boys by example of what not to do!!!
How was the head?!

Elizabethd said...

They are such fun at that age! I somehow managed to have 5 (on remarriage), all between 21 and 15.Hysterical!

Anonymous said...

What great fun. The boys sound quite mature to me!

Crystal xx

mountainear said...

It is a bit chastening isn't it when the biter gets bit!

I remember big boys when I worked in a 6th form college - no perception of either the size of their bodies or their brains. They'd lumber down the corridors like young bullocks but were actually as meek as lambs.....

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Oh yes. Been there. The kids still tease me about the night I told our friends exactly the same story three times (to their increasing bewilderment and amusement) went upstairs to the loo and never came down. This may or may not be true. Sadly I don't remember

Posie said...

Oh sounds fantastic...love the idea of the whole street doing mass catering...good for you. Boys playing star wars wioth the younger ones...reminded me of our Hogmanay parties...and as for you wanting to sleep in your windproof gear....vegetarian curry??!!

Norma Murray said...

Your boys sound lovely. I brought up 4 boys, sometimes they were good, sometimes it was like living with a teenage gang.
As for you - Well tsk Tsk ! Sounds lie fun.

Faith said...

Brilliant! Never make a positive statement!

Fennie said...

Dog under the quilt - somehow that is just very funny.
The party sounded lovely. Well done you!

Cait O'Connor said...

What a lovely blog. I have been there, I was ill for a week once with a hangover, many years ago.
I am not going to the Winter Fair, am working on Saturday and then babysitting gdds. unfortunately. I hope we can meet up one day though.

Sam Fox said...

Super party, never the less!

Milla said...

great story! that will pass into the annals tho, as with elizabethm and you'll never hear the end of it!

Suffolkmum said...

Loved this. Great story and great aprty! Those boys sound lovely too.

Un Peu Loufoque said...

you are a very naughty woman and I am very very jealious snot fair !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!One should alwasy be thankfull for the things we can not remember doing under the influence!! SOmehings are better forgotten..I rewmember a night in my yoth when...well perahps another time!!

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Really enjoyed that, SBS - sounds like a great party (did the boy in question get a 'death look' for his smart remark?) Are you having to provide hospitality for the young Welsh farmer until the blue-tongue restrictions are lifted? I don't know - the lengths one has to go to for a toy boy these days...

Olivia said...

Oh Jane! I have found you! Guess who!! xxx

Olivia said...

Just realised it says my name above the post...how disappointing!x

bodran... said...

It sounds like a great time was had by all and no wonder with you there..xx I can't leave a message on your last two blogs, 503 is unavailiable or summat read them though. Very scary looking boys.. xx