Friday, 18 May 2007

D'you want yer drive tarmacing missus?

The time - a couple of years ago - October half term week
The place - here and up on the hills
The people - Himself, myself and two youngest children
Animals - two labs and a JRT

There we were in the really scruffy clothes one wears to carry out the cleaning of chicken sheds, these were not just untidy these were 'next stop- bonfire' type and by the time we had finished our chore they smelt pretty awful as well! We had finished our horrible task and feeling a bit sorry for the boys because it was a beautiful day, I gathered up some sandwiches, a flask and some fruit for an impromptu picnic up on the hills behind us. It was a gloriously clear day and we had great fun pointing out distant landmarks, identifying hills and distant Welsh mountains. We rooted around in the old squatters cottages and wondered how they lived in such cramped conditions- but they sure had good views!

We walked quite a way along the old roads and the sheep tracks eventually finding a hollow out of the stiff breeze, we sprawled out in the heather to have our picnic. There was not another soul to be seen, the only company we had were the partridge darting about and a couple of ravens watching us from a craggy rock nearby. The boys wandered off playing in the heather, rolling and hiding, jumping and squawking with the dogs. I think I probably dozed in the sunshine only to be rudely awoken by the boys, "What are these mum, what are these?" with grubby hands outstretched full of red berries.

The Stiperstones hills are renowned for the whinberry (or blueberry) harvest that runs from June to Setember. During those months the hills are covered with people picking away for all they are worth - ever tried Whinberry Pie? In years gone by the whinberry harvest was a way of supplementing a meagre income and whole families would spend days on the hill picking. 'You picked your clothes and boots off the hill' was a quote I remember from 'Never on A Sunday'. There is however another berry that was harvested to a lesser degree that to some is called 'cranberry' but is also known as 'cowberry'. These small, hard berries are bright red and are much smaller than the cultivated cranberry we see in bags at Christmas time. There was no market for them so they were used much more in the home than the whinberry. It was possible to simply bottle these berries in cold water, the juice would be later sweetened with honey for colds and coughs whilst the softened berries would be baked in a tart.

Now I love making preserves of all kinds, jams, jellies, chutneys -you name it and I make it - the boys renamed the kitchen ' The Pickle Factory' because of the smell of boiling vinegar in the autumn, which has become the name I use on my labels. So knowing these berries were not poisonous I set my team of pickers a task - to fill their sandwich boxes with the little red berries for mother to make something with! They are used to these sort of tasks, dread the PYO season, the blackberry season, the crab apple time - they have been picking fruit and berries since they could walk and never go out without pockets stuffed with bags 'just in case' -groan groan!

So there we were, bums pointing heavenward, picking frenetically when we were joined by a couple out walking - in all the right gear of course -not like us higgledy piggledy lot! Himself straightened up and passed the time of day - well that must have been a frightening spectre in itself - much too long red scruffy hair and hadn't shaved for days -designer stubble? Pah- this was the real Mcoy - red fur on the way to beard! It transpired that they were ever so slightly lost ....and were soon passed on to me to give directions back down the hill by a suitable path. It was then the very nice lady asked, "My deah, what on earth are you all picking?" I explained that they were cranberries for Christmas cranberry jelly to which she replied, "Oh how perfectly quaint----the travelling people gathering their Christmas lunch...!" She was very lucky not to end up sitting in the heather I can tell you!

I was still spitting after they were daintily picking their way off the hill - Oh how I wished I had given them the path through the boggy bit! Himself was absolutely hysterical as were the boys ...with tears running down his face he pointed to my tatty quilted jacket -"Just look at you!" he cried, "its no wonder they thought we were tinkers!"
I looked down and horror of horrors my jacket , not only tatty and smelling of chicken was buttoned up in the wrong holes- about as classy as tucking your skirt into your knickers I fear!
Himself practised his broadest Irish/Welsh/West Midlands accent on comments like, "Have yer got any scrap missus?" and "D'yer want yer drive tarmacing missus?" all the way home!

They passed us as we yomped down the road, they were in a pale green merc , they waved regally......we smiled and nodded - we knew our place! But I bet my Christmas cranberry jelly with port tasted better than theirs!

17 comments:

Bluestocking Mum said...

Oh, what I great tale. I can just picture you. It does help as I can visualise your part of the world too!

I bet yours tasted better too!

warm wishes
xx

Chris Stovell said...

That's a great story - but I can imagine how delighted you were at the time! We get that reaction on our old boat, especially as all our gear is cobbled together, the Musto brigade look down on us terribly!

Louise Vaan said...

Ha - you should have pushed her down the hill!

We get whinberries, locally called bilberries, round here. Mmmmmmm, bilberry and white chocolate muffins. yum!

toady said...

Great Story, snotty or what. Toady

Inthemud said...

That is so funny, I'm sitting here laughing to myself,Great story. It's the way that you tell 'em!

Suffolkmum said...

Wonderful story. I bet she told all her friends about the quaint tinker family she met foraging for their Christmas dinner! I bet you're right and yours tasted better!

bodran... said...

I am sooo glad i'm not the only one always being taken for a tinker!!Almost the identical thing happened to me,Up the hill having a picnic [cold toast and a bottle of milk] when a pair of walkers arrived assumed i was on a day out, and proceeded to tell me all about themselves what they had etc etc and pointed out their house which the footpath goes by, and said good bye as we arrived and waited for me to carry on down the hill!! "well it was my bloody house" they tried to turn it into a joke but boy did they scarper, me laughing loudly behind them!!

Faith said...

Reminds me of the time I was cleaning at my parents house (nice house, nice area) and somebody came to the door and mistaking me for the char asked if the lady of the house was at home!

muddyboots said...

a really great story, and the smell of the chutneys cooking, l can just imagine.....

MaidofKent said...

Hers would have come from Waitrose, (or worse), cost a fortune and been nowhere near as nice as yours! Besides you had the satisfaction of the doing of it ( we share a hobby in this one, so I do know the feeling )
For the first time ever though I recently pickled garlic ( some I chopped, some I left as cloves - different jars obviously ) I used White Wine Vinegar,both went blue. Why? Should I have brined them first? Is it the same as pickling onions going green?
You called my horse a brute! Yet he speaks so highly of you. Daughter says you must NEVER, NEVER do so much as a brisk walk without stretching, and warming up your achilles first, because it will always try to come back at you if you're not careful! xx

Un Peu Loufoque said...

I always look like a ragbag so know just how you feel!

mountainear said...

When we get together for 'a bit of a do' - wedding, dinner, Young Farmers event, whatever - there's always a slight pause while we look each other up and down. There's the familiar face but something's not quite right.

Someone will inevitably say 'Don't we scrub up well'.

MaidofKent said...

Well, if Beautiful Brute is the best you can do......
I have a theory - you know how dogs tend to bark at people who are scared of them, and ignore people who aren't?
Similar thing with horses, except they do the biting thing. Actually they bite in quite a playful way, it's a bit: " Aw come on now, play with me, I'm nice..."
They don't really mean it, if they did they can do serious damage!
It does only appear to be those who are wary of them who get the problems! (which would tend to make you wary of them... )

Exmoorjane said...

Fabulous story! I hated those walkers in your first sentence, before they even spoke! We have whortleberries, which I think are bilberries....aren't all these different names fabulous?
jx

Inthemud said...

Hi Snailbeach,
Just dropping by, wondering how you are feeling now, any better today, when have you got to get back to hospital to continue your treatment?

The beach we went to was Shoreham, very pebbly, but lovely beach away from the crowds. Not beach weather today though, been raining all day, went to Cissbury ring and climbed up it just for fun and we all got soaked!

Lots of love
Elaine x

Pondside said...

Hi Shepherdess - I've posted a photo for you on the CCW chat page, but don't know if you will see it due to site problems! Just some support in your contretemps with the nasty neighbour!

annakarenin said...

Have enjoyed catching up with your memories especially the one about your mother.

The books sound really interesting what an incredible project.