Monday, 25 June 2007

A day at the seaside


It may have been something to do with the fact that I had taken to whirling my cast iron frying pan around my head looking for a suitable skull to rest it sharply against....or the fact that I was not answering questions..more like snarling a growl....because even when I look back at last week it really was a bit 'uphill' as things go...anyway a day at the sea was suggested. Now that in itself does not have me leaping around full of expectation because I know who has got to do the organising of picnic, car boot, animal tending when we are away, contact normal Sunday lunchers and tell them my Little Chef is closed and suggest youngest brings a mate to keep him occupied...but we set off bright and early in the rain full of the possibilities of a day in the rain in Aberystwyth..and this was supposed to make me less stressed?










It rained all the way to The Red Kite cafe where we had breakfast, swapped drivers and the 'who'll be first to see the sea' competition started. Now I know that on a really fine day just after the Red Kite and before you drop down into the next village you CAN see the sea but did not think for one minute that it was one of those days...but it was! Unbelievable! There we were in rain and mist looking at the most beautiful horizon of tropical blue sea and sky... I almost forgot to scream, 'I can see the sea!' (This poor lad that youngest has towed along..he must have thought he was out with the 'Barking' family!)










It was not a mirage and within twenty minutes we were throwing sticks into the sea for mad labrador who had never seen the sea before and thought it was good sport. BUT where was everybody else? Was there a hidden oil slick? Had we had the four minute warning? There were flags flying announcing 'Seaside Award 2007' but there was nobody else there to read them! We had the whole of the south beach to ourselves! The boys decided to wander off into the town no doubt to ogle the local talent as is the desire of two sixteen year olds and we walked the whole




length of Aberystwyth seafront from harbour to Constitution Hill in beautiful sunshine with jumpers tied round middles. There were more people on the North beach but not as many as one would expect for a sunny June Sunday which I thought was a bit odd but never mind.










By 2pm we were on the road to one of my favourite seaside towns Aberaeron.... where we parked our caravan for many years on a hilltop overlooking the sea and had massive rows about putting the awning up...until one windy August the awning ripped off and blew away..and that marked the end of our caravan holidays ....There are more pastel painted houses now ..there are whole terraces looking like bags of sugared almonds with their windows fringed with gaudy geraniums the size of cabbages. The boats tinkled in the harbour in the afternoon breeze and an old man sat in the shade in his braces with his corgi at his feet watching the world go by.










We had our very new National Trust folder with us and rustled through the handbook to find a local gem ...Llanerchaeron..(this is where the computer literate put in a 'linky' thing but I can't so very sorry) a gentleman's estate left to the NT in 1989. A house designed by John Nash, a working organic farm, a walled garden to die for and a wander through woods full of mature trees and round a lake where swallows skimmed the surface. There was a ladies' boudoir in pale green silks..it was circular... as if in a turret...strange because there were no turrets on the outside...the bedroom doors were convex...so when inside the room ..it was circular...very weird ... but very beautiful. The staircase yelled John Nash as did the glass atrium above the landing, apparently all the curves and circular tweaks are his trademark. The kitchens and scullery were open and full of interesting quirks. There was also a collection on display belonging to a Miss Pamela Ward..a lady much travelled and of independant means..who had bequeathed her collection of over 5000 items to the NT for safe keeping.










The walled gardens took my breath away and I only hope the pictures will do them justice. They are beautiful and amazing. The perfume of roses and herbs on a warm and humid Sunday in June behind the old brick walls was heady, the greenhouses were open and a vine marched through a broken window as if on a mission to escape. I could have spent a week in that garden and not seen the same thing twice.










We could hear farm noises from over the walls and eventually made our way out to find pigs and calves in old walled yards..stables now empty and huge cobbled courtyards waiting for hooves to clip clop across them.

Well they had to show us the door...it was well past closing time when we were prised away...funnily enough no-one was in any hurry to leave...not even the staff who carried on serving teas and vegetables as though it was mid day not nearly 6pm!


We meandered back to Aberaeron for a picnic on the harbour wall, a wander along the river to watch the trout while the boys went off talent spotting. Hymn music and welsh singing came from an open cottage door and I was back in the world of Dylan Thomas and Under Milkwood and Mrs Ogmore Jones.


We lazed over ice cold shandy in the still warm sun with our backs to the harbour wall as little boys worked out crab fishing strategies...and then we trekked home. As we climbed back towards the Red Kite Cafe we could see the windmills starkly white against a navy blue and purple sky .....and the rain started.

14 comments:

Faith said...

Lucky lucky thing you - it sounds gorgeous and with the pics I was almost there. Love all those sugar almond cottages.

Bluestocking Mum said...

That sounds like my kind of day out. And a nice change for you before your return to work.

I have never been to Aberaeron or Aberystwyth.

btw-I am really disappointed you can't make Thurs. All this time you have been off work and it has taken me this long to pluck up the courage to meet...and your'e back to work! Hey, ho.
We will do it-maybe you could show me Ludlow one day...

warm wishes
x

Anonymous said...

That was a lovely blog. It's so special to have a family day out. You made me smile when you mentioned the 'who can see the sea first' competition. We used to do that when we were kids. My parents used to take me, my older brother & younger sister to Rosneiger (sorry about spelling) and we had the most wonderful time. We stayed in a little bungalow for a week in September and I remember many happy days spent on the beach. Memories are flooding back, I better go or I'll hijack your blog!
Crystal xx

Maggie Christie said...

I loved your blog. I went to university in Aberystwyth, so have very fond memories of the town, and Llanerchaeron is one of our local NT properties. (I blogged recently about our half term visit). The gardens are so beautiful. I was lucky enough to visit it just before it fully opened to the public and it is marvellous to see just how much work has been done to rescue and restore such a beautiful place. I love the quirkiness of the house too - including all the fake doors to give the illusion of a bigger place. Incidentally, I suspect that the reason Aber was so quiet is that the students have gone home and the town is heaving a sigh of relief before the summer season starts. I once stayed on to work one summer and it was quiet - and lovely - at this time of year.

Suffolkmum said...

Lovely blog and amazing pictures. You have made me yearn more than ever to see Wales. I too loved the sugar almond cottages - and what bliss to have a beach to yourselves!

Sally Townsend said...

Think you will adore Dorset, I'm down there at the moment, I know Chideock and Bridport very well, just thinking how I can squeeze some clotted cream into the suitcase. Do drop me a line sally@chateaulasserre.com if you would like a chat re: all the lovely places to visit

Inthemud said...

Lovely day, great photos.

My mum gave us NT membership for birthday one year, now I keep it up every year, I love going to the old houses and gardens

Went to the very first property NT bought which is Alfriston Clergy house in E Sussex which dates back to 1350, has most stunning cottage garden and building very impressve for its age

Un Peu Loufoque said...

well all I can say is oh spit!! Not Fair ark nearly finished though so at least that is good news for us here with wet stuff!

Cait O'Connor said...

I did so enjoy this and I live reasonably near these places! I always do the 'Who can see the sea first?' thing too. I have driven past Llanerchaeron a few times on way back from Aberaeron but never visited. I think it was closed one day when we did try and visit. I loved the greenhouse and the walled garden pics, loved them all in fact. And the way you wrote about your day was so lovely. I will post my sugar almond pics of Aberaeron soon for you. My neighbours have a shop there (candles, crystals, jewellery etc)in the Craft Centre. My son lived in a flat in Aberystwyth for a while, it's a nice town. I wouldn't complain about the lack of crowds!
Thank you for your kind words by the way.
Caitx

Bluestocking Mum said...

Me again.

We are definitely going to get that date at Ludlow-I promise. Not sure about early August with kids, we are supposed to be going to caraven!!! +Wouldn't wish them on you or me and a nice trip to Ludlow. We will do it, even if it is for Christmas shopping.

Back to Thursday. Def looks, weather permitting like it may be going ahead. Woozle can't come over til after 2pm so I wondered what time you get out of work and if girls are still around whether we could all get together for a cuppa or go out for tea?

Suddenly occured to me if you wish to contact me 'direct' e-mail is:- orders@despinagifts.co.uk

Bye for now and do hope we can get something sorted even if only for a quick drink somewhere at a little chef!!

xx

Woozle1967 said...

I love that area. My mum and dad used to have a caravan at Capel Bangor and we used to go into the (then) Safeway in Aber for our shopping, and often went to Aberaeron, Newquay and up to Aberdovey.

Bluestocking Mum said...

Hello-An excited me again!!

Great news that you can get out for 4pm! I think we are getting there.

The girls are coming to me for 1.20-2pm and then we could come to Dobbies for 4 and wait for you. I will have my purple coo Ribbon on!

If you check out my last but one blog on my Country Diary Blog (the one about the purple coo merchandise) it gives my address/e-mail and mobile phone number I think if you get held up or any problems.
Or I will try and find a way to get it to you tomorrow.

How totally groovy-what a great bunch to be meeting up with!

Be in touch again tomorrow, no doubt!

Bye for now
xx

Pondside said...

What a beautiful day you must have had! The photos were a real treat. How long a drive was it? Are there many places like that close enough for a day trip? When we get in the car here it is a very long trip to see anything other than trees and rocks - lots of empty space, beautiful in its own way but I'd love to drive somewhere with a little charm and history too!

mountainear said...

I've really enjoyed your day out - sounds like a breath of fresh air.

As kids we used to be poised on the edge of the back seat of the car (after a marathon 8 hour drive) to be the first to shriek out 'Cropton sign!' - This being the sign to the village where we had a much loved holiday home. A happy memory

So sorry I can't meet up on Thursday.