OOOOOh Bodran...look wot I found....reminded me of your tree spirits dancing! Have got more will try to put them on....but I think me and photo's are not too good on here...I think I lost yesterday's up a tube somewhere!
We went on a good old yomp yesterday around the hamlets of More and Linley making our way gradually up hill to the Linley Beeches ....an avenue of ancient beech trees supposedly planted by prisoners of war from the Napoleonic wars on the Linley estate. They are visible for miles and are on part of The Shropshire Way route. Amazing! The trees are majestic, artistic, atmospheric and cared for, saplings are planted where age has taken its toll to ensure the avenue will still be here for generations to come.
Phew! That was hard work...is it in the right place ? will it stay put? Send me a couple of tree spirits to sort it out Bodran!
Anyway...today I shall be sharing my two favourite poems..and why they are my favourites.
Way back in the early 1980's there was me 28 years old, a mother of a three year old being incredibly brave about being newly divorced and being supported by mum and dad...mum punctuating every sentence with 'I told you so!' I decided I was going to stand on my own two rather shaking feet and bought a cottage ...a titchy little ex coal miner's cottage, two up, two down plus bathroom and large garden with apple tree. I think my solicitor had thought I was going to stay in the matrimonial home and claim a fortune for the next 14 years at least...well he seemed somewhat fazed at what I decided to do. When the final documents came through there was the normal solicitor type jargonese ....but at the bottom just before 'Yours sincerely' was the following.......
........ I shall arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made:
Nine bean rows shall I have there, a hive for the honey bee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.
And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet's wings.
I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart's core.
That started my love affair with Ireland and William Butler Yeats. Three years ago we went to The Lake Isle of Innisfree, Ballylee and Coole and it was wonderful. The solicitor? One of my bestest friends that is always there for me...whatever.
Mary Webb..the Shropshire authoress was a tormented soul bless her...I love her novels although many slate them...but I do find her poetry rather melancholy even to the point of funeralistic...(is that a real word?) but there is one that comes to my mind often....
Fairy Led
The fairy people flouted me,
Mocked me, shouted me -
They chased me down the dreamy hill and beat me with a wand,
Within the wood they found me, put spells on me and bound me
And left me at the edge of day in John the miller's pond.
Beneath the eerie starlight
Their hair shone curd-white;
Their bodies were all twisted like a lichened apple tree;
Feather light and swift they moved,
And never one the other loved,
For all were full of ancient dreams and dark designs on me.
With noise of leafy singing
And white wands swinging,
They marched away amid the grass that swayed to let them through.
Between the yellow tansies
Their eyes like purple pansies,
Peered back on me before they passed all trackless in the dew.


17 comments:
Oh wow, wow, wow and thrice wow. The trees are wonderful, SBS and Bodran will LOVE them.... they do look as if they're dancing or bending forwards to introduce themselves.
I love the poems too (and I'm not good with poems). My first solicitor was a bit like that - though not as poetic....it makes such a difference having someone lovely on your side. But really, how very magical....
I love Mary Webb.....but then I quite like doomy and gloomy. I hadn't read that poem and am a bit blown away as it sort of echoes how I see the Ferish, the fairy people in my children's book Walker between Worlds... Not nice and fluffy but quite cruel and hard...
Fabulous blog!
I can see the picture clearly too...lovely poem.
Can you believe I haven't read any mary Webb-another to put on my MUST READ list!!
Those trees are amazing.
Lovely Lovely blog.
And don't know how I missed yesterdays (probably chained to sewing machine)
Of course I am addicted to all fabric!! LOve Sanderson and know the fabrics your are talking about. Use to be a little shop in Dudley near where we lived that sold Sanderson fabric and seconds in little remnant pieces. I used to buy it by the bucketload-totally without any thought as so what I was going to use it for!! I eventually sold it all on e-bay last year and made a stack of money!
Can't beat the classics.
warm wishes
xx
PS-Woozle 1969 and I may be getting together in a couple of weeks-maybe meet craven arms or somewhere-Wondered if you fancied joining us?
I'd be nervous but it would be lovely to meet you both...
No pressure.
x
OH dear is it to late to tell you that I think your solicitor fancied you? Cruel fairies very veyr terry pratchet n"est pas ?
Wonderful tree photos.
And the poems I love the Irish one, I always feel a great affinity to Ireland, though I've only been 2x, my mum 's family originate from Ireland so its in my blood just a little!
Lovely blog,
Elaine
The second pic of the trees is a really nice one and in the right place.
How interesting that your solicitor should put that wonderful poem on your correspondance. He must have admired your strength of character, who wouldn't.
what an amazing poem, loved it and it did remind me of jane's Ferish. Are you Shropshire lot too far from North Wales for a meeting?
agree with UPL that solicitor probably fancied you but not necessarily in a do anything about it sort of way if you know what i mean.
Lovely trees, and lovely poems.
I love Yeats and Mary Webb, especially 'Precious Bane'.
Hi there SBS - had to pop in as was talking about you with Angel! Don't know how I've missed you before, but I'm afraid as soon as the garden starts calling, I ditch the laptop and only have time to pop in for a mo, so tend to be a creature of habit with my visitations. I always thought I was pretty good at multi-tasking but when I see how many of you manage to blog/comment and leave such full lives, I always feel so inadequate. Never enough hours in the day for me!
So, stop rambling, Woozle!! Only meant to say "Hello", nice to meet you and all that. Lovely blog and great pics too.x
Love the trees avenue and the Mary Webb poem - I hadn't heard of her before. Thanks for your comment on my blog. Toady
They look like the legs of dinosaurs,and are all chatting but getting ready to move of at any moment,,fabulous!! thank you for thinking of me xxoo.
How about we all meet in church stretton, it would be brilliant if we could all coordinate and meet up..xxx...
Mary and i are old friends, i love her writing..x
I do so love it when poems find me - as those on your blog have done today. Yeats I know and am familiar with but Mary Webb's was new to me. It's the poetry of wild, wierd lands, not quite of this world. Ever-such-a-bit-little-spooky.
And there should be things like that on the GCSE Eng.Lit syllabus - wonderful rich language - the Goths and Emo's would love it!
Great trees too.
Only prob with Mary Webb was that Stella Gibbons did such a good job knocking 'Precious Bane' etc when she wrote 'Cold Comfort Farm' that it's awfully hard to take them seriously. At least it is for me.
Good blog - the first word I thought of was 'wow' and I see Jane's been there and wowed a lot for me. Love that last poem - reminded me of Jane's ferish too.
So much to say -I adore beech trees, lived in Bucks for a while and never got tired of the beech woods. I LOVE that Yeats poem, one of my all time faves. Don't know Mary Webb at all, but I rather liked that. Lovely blog.
I've always loved that Yeats poem. I agree with Un Peu - that solicitor really liked you!
Post a Comment